Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016 Youtube/streaming issue

heasmandonald
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I am trying to limit the bandwidth used by people streaming and watching videos all day. The big issue sites are youtube and netflix. I have tried implimenting a bandwidth rule by adding a maximum downstream rule of 100kbps to port 554. But that does not seem to be working. Initially i tried this approach to port 1935, but that just capped everything and slowed the internet.

The big issue with this problem is i need to have some computers not effected by the bandwidth cap and i cannot block it outright.

Thanks in advance.

11 Replies 11

heasmandonald
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

I am now using wireshark to find the port that is being used by most streams. So far it seems to be mostly on port 80. If that is the case is there a way i can limit this port without reducing every day brouse speed? I know port 80 is the one used by all http proticals.

I believe there should be a way to limit bandwidth to a destination or series of destination IP addresses.  See if that helps.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

I am unable to find a way to do so. Right now it seems like i can only limit by service and to specific computers on this network. Looking into it though.

heasmandonald
Level 1
Level 1

So far the only semi solutions i have been able to find were:

1. use the firewall to outright block the websites.

this is not as desired as i still need to have some access to these sites.

2. limit bandwidth to specific port. I am currently unsure which port youtube needs i hear that it could be 80,443,or 1935. Im not sure if it is any of those. If it is 80 that also encapsulates all http access as well so i cannot just cut that, i would need to have room for regular downloads.

pls respond.

Okay, there's not a perfect solution to block everyone, but here's what I found.

On my rv016 v1 hardware v3 firmware under System Management-->Bandwidth Management.  In the Rate Control section, you should be able to limit port 80 downstream to only select computers.  By doing so, the Internet will slow down, but depending on the limit you set, videos and any other bandwidth-intensive sites can be affected to the point they are a pain to watch.  IPs not in the limit rule should work like normal.

Thanks for your help. I am trying to test this solution on a single pc but when i enter a specific ip of just a single computer it appears to be effecting a lot more than just the one. Here is a screenshot of what i have.

The only difference i can think of is im using firmware v4.2.1.02

EDIT: when i enable this rule is what i mean.

Is this a bug in the firmware at all? It should not be effecting multipe people on the network. I tried making the bandwidth rule for only:

192.168.0.187 - 192.168.0.187 - this effects more than just the single pc

192.168.0.186 - 192.168.0.187 - this effecnts more than just the two.

when i add these rules it effects computers on the network including ones with ip of 151 or 067 etc. Am I implimenting this correctly, is this a known bug etc.

Hope this helps.

Very strange.  Try setting it to all protocols and see what happens.  I've never used this rule on my rv016, so it may not work on mine either!

If you mean make the service field to say "all traffic" and that is on all ports, then yes i have tried that and it still does the same thing. Would anyone from cysco be able to help me out with this issue is it a bug in the firmware or am i just not setting it up correctly?

Yep, that's what I meant.

I hate upgrading firmware for just one bug (as it usually introduces more than it solves), but v3 is pretty stable and I reluctantly upgraded one of my units that was running v2 and it's been good.  You might want to try that.

Interesting, im not sure that would fix it. Like you i am reluctant to update. The current firmware on the router is this

"Firmware Version: v4.2.1.02"

This is what it tells me in the "about" page. If that is the case i do not want to downgrade to v3. Iam still looking into this issue.

Oops!  I missed the 4 and thought you were running v2 something.  I don't think you could even downgrade the firmware if it comes with 4 as you're on v3 hardware.  If you don't mind running the experiment, I know just one step down (3.x) might be worth looking into.  I'm sure some other stuff would break, but it might not be something you need/care about.

The only other solution would be to wait for a bug fix, which might come too late for your application.