Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G DMZ port how to use?

Ryan Hendriks
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cable modem which is connected with its single utp port to my cisco router on the WAN1 port, then i have connected the router to my managed cisco switch.

Now my tv digicorder needs a utp connection directly to the cable modem but as it has only 1 utp port to my router, could I use the dmz/internet port to connect this digicorder and so it has unrestricted access to the cable mode through WAN1 of the rv042G ? and it also should get an public ip address on that port.

If it gets an internal LAN portnumber it won't work.

Or should I better put a switch after the cable modem and then connect the switch to WAN1 of the router and use one of the free switch ports to connect my digicorder to?

Thanks for the help

4 Replies 4

asuseela
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Thanks for contacting Cisco support community center.

Sorry for the delay in response. Sure I will help you on this connection but before we confirm, I need to know few more details from your end so that I can understand your setup better and can assist you accordingly.

>>Please confirm how your router RV042G WAN ports gets configured (static/DHCP or PPOE connection)?

>>Also confirm, what type of IP configuration (LAN or static IP) need to be configured for your digicorder connection?

Thanks

Ambareezh.

Hello,

See my answers below:

>>Please confirm how your router RV042G WAN ports gets configured (static/DHCP or PPOE connection)?

The WAN port gets a public IP address from my ISP provider.

WAN1 Obtain an IP automatically

>>Also confirm, what type of IP configuration (LAN or static IP) need to be configured for your digicorder connection?

Now my cable modem is attached to a 5 port gigabit switch, from there an utp cable is connected to my WAN1 port of the router and another utp cable from that switch is connected directly to my digicorder, it seems that this digicorder is recognized by the provider and it gets a LAN address from them such like 10.x.x.x

So what I would like to do is to connect this digicorder to my Cisco router and then it should go through this router's DMZ to the cable modem where it gets that IP from the provider.

So I would like to eliminate the switch between the modem and router if possible.

But if the digicorder would get an IP from the router then I think it will not work.

Regards,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for kind response, as per your scenario I hope it is not possible to use the DMZ for the digicoder connection. But please give me some time so that I can try this in the LAB and let me confirm you the status. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks,

Ambareezh

OK, thanks for the help and co-work to try this out in your lab.

I will wait for your answer.

Kind regards,

Ryan