cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 v1 unable to update firmware

Carlos Alfaro
Level 1
Level 1

So I have the RV082 router.  I had it with a 1.x version of the firmware for a while and I was able to update to the first 2.x version of the firmware a few months ago. 

This router is fairly old but works ok.  I like to keep it up to date.  I recall always looking for firmware updates and not seeing any, then out of no where there are 3 updates to the software.  I was able to install the second 2.x version of the firmware.  Now I was trying to catch up and install first: 4.1.1.01 and then 4.2.3.03.

I have downlodad both files multiple times and have been unable to update the firmware.  It always says secure connection failed. 

If it helps I am using ubuntu 14.04 and the lates version of firefox 36.x

I don't know if anyone has had the same issue or if they have any sugestions on how to make this work. 

I would rather install alternative firmware but since it is an intel chip inside, not many people are writing firmware for a router like this one.  I dropped all of my other linsys/cisco routers (about 6 of them) except this one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

> I have downlodad both files multiple times and have been unable to update the firmware.  It always says secure connection failed. 

I hope this is caused by requirement of HW version by these new firmwares. As you mentioned, you owns device with HW version 1. According download page it is clearly stated ("V3 hardware required"), that all never firmware versions than 2.0.2.01 requires HW version 3 of unit. I am afraid there is no newer firmware version for V1 HW version of RV082 than you already have installed.

V K Moorthy
Level 1
Level 1

Your RV082 is ver 1/2 hardware .But this firmware RV0XX-v4.2.3.03-20140319-code.bin only supported by RV082 ver 3 hardware.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I too have v1 rv series units.  The highest firmware I was able to go on my rv016s was 3.something.  You can't go to version 4 firmware.

I don't know if the older firmwares are even available for download anymore.  I had to find mine through third party sources.  Good luck.

As an aside, it's amazing how fast these units are even as old as they are.  I recently did a site-to-site vpn throughput test in my lab between a v1 rv016 and a current model netgear fvs318n.  The results surprised me--the rv016 has more vpn throughput than the fvs318 (50Mbps vs 22Mbps).  These units still have a lot of potential for limited applications, and are awesome for home use when ISP speeds are below 50Mbps.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com