Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 Connectivity issues

rl0000001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have purchased a RV180 small business router for our office (15 people), but we have some issues.

When the router is started/restarted, it works perfectly for about 1 minute, then the connection to the Internet starts to slow down - and after maybe 2 or 3 minutes you are lucky if you can connect to any server (web/mail/ftp). Sporadically you get through to a server and maybe half of a web page is received.

I know it is called "small" business router, but it should be able to serve 15 people. Right now we have to use a consumer router from Apple, and it works fine.

We use static IP and have updated to latest firmware.

Any ideas or is the device just faulty?

Thanks
Rasmus

6 Replies 6

lariasqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rasmus, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community.

I apologize for this inconvenience, could be multiple reasons that your device could be running slow.

1. There is something you need to take on mind, if you are using multiples VPN, you are running IPS, you have a high level encryption security level, multiple ACL, I advise you to disable the protocols what you are not using.

2. You could check the MTU size (1500 recommended but it depends).

3. You could perform a factory reset and reconfigure just the necessary features or do a basic configuration due test matters.

4. Please, check if your IPS has a default MAC address registered and us this to configure the WAN MAC address, you could go to Networking > WAN (Internet) > IPv4 WAN (Internet) to configure it.

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Luis

We have not started using any other featues. We only set up WAN with a static IP and LAN with the range of 10.0.1.1 - 10.0.1.200. (default was 192.168.1.x)

We experienced the problem right away and decided to upgrade to latest firmware, but it did not help.

No other settings has been changed

We can try to reset it to factory standards, if you think that would help.

I am not sure what you mean about the MAC address, but we have never used that to set up any other router on our network.

Thanks

Rasmus

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

This is kinda a 'known' issue on the rvxxx line of routers.  You probably have a bunch of packets coming in from the WAN that the router is having to filter.  This process slows down/crashes/reboots the rv-series.

One thing that I know works to fix this is to connect another router in front of the rvxxx wan.  Ie, connect your rv to the apple router and then have the LAN connect into the rv.  See if that fixes the issue or at least prolongs the time between reboots.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Hi Samir

The apple router is not meant for business use, and we needed a secure and stable router, so therefore we bought the Cisco.

If what you say is true (and I hope not), the the router is useless. We bought it to have in front of everything - and use our apple router for wireless only.

I really hope there is a solution - else we have to return it as faulty and buy another.

Thanks

Rasmus

Hello Rasmus,

The problem you are describing doesn't sound like "normal" behaviour for any kind of router, espacially with the default configuration. For sure there is a reason and it is not, because the router is designed like this.

Factory reset after firmware upgrade is always a clean start. So you can try that.

From the information you provide, obviously some filering is happening, if you say you dont have the problem with router with less features. Could be based on the MTU size and it worth testing to decrease it.

Could be also because of firewall, may worth trying to desactivate it and see.

IP address conflict also could cause such behaviour. RV180 have a Diagnostic menu, which allows to capture trafic on the LAN and WAN port and see if there is any flooding or filtering.

Of course there is a possibility of a hardeware problem as well. I would advise you to call the Support Center phone line and open service request. The engineers could help you investigate the problem.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Best Regards,

Kremena

SB Support Network Engineer

Oh I understand why you've bought the rv180, but this test of swapping the two routers just helps narrow down the problem.  If the issue gets better, turning off a lot of the filtering can help; but then again, that's why you bought it in the first place so that doesn't meet your needs.