cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W site-to-site VPN static on one end dynamic on the other is no go!

chrisguertin
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a heck of a time configuring 2 RV180W's to establish an IPSEC VPN tunnel.  I have some experience at this with other Cisco products (RV042/082) but I can't get these beasties to cooperate.

One RV180W is at a client's office and there are to be 1x RV180W and 1x RV120W located at 2 employee's residences.

The office has a Static IP and the homes have dymamic IP.

I figured I would config the units in the homes to be initators and connect to the office where the static IP is.  This is failing for me so far.

Can someone give me an example (screenshot?) of a config where this is working?  The firmware on the RV180W's I am trying to configure first are current.

I even tried testing from my office (where I have multiple static IPs available) from RV180W here to RV180W at client's office (static at both ends) and I can't get a tunnel to come up.  Obviously I am missing the boat at some point in the setup.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

3 Replies 3

lunarestate
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chris,

For me the whole thing works using FQDN. x.example.com and y.example.com nicely connect wih eachother. Have you ever tried to use FQDN? In my case the dynamic ip changes maybe once a year so it is not a problem keeping up with those changes. Maybe ddns could be an option if your ip changes often.

Cheers,

Jesse

Hi Chris,

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I am trying to do the same thing.

Thanks,

Marshall

I did get it to work using the e-mail address method at the dynamic end of the link.  Once the tunnels came up I discovered that (regardless of the documentation) the RV180W doesn't support Split-DNS over an IPSec tunnel so I had to have the RV180W's replaced with RV042's so I could get proper tunnels with Split-DNS.  I asked Cisco to correct the RV180W documentation so that others wouldn't fall into this trap but I don't know if this happened or not.  If you just need a plain-jane IPSec tunnel you should be OK with RV180W.