cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sa520W not responding to external pings

GaertnerPC
Level 1
Level 1

As the title say's the device is not responding to external pings.

The device is located at 208.100.185.106, it is hosting a windows server 2008r2 file server vpn.

the vpn was working for more than a month without any trouble, then yesterday around 12pm the ip adress stopped responding to requests.

we are using a WD dx4000 sentenal which creates a web page for logon  and allows remote access. If I release the Domain name and then

rebuild the site the server works again for a few hours. Then it drops off again. When I ping the server from an outside connection I get no

response. If I repair the connection I will get a response until the the problem starts again.

-Could this be stealth mode related?

-Is the router being probed and disabling WAN connections?

I read through problems related to quickvpn, they didn't seem to be aplicable to my situation.

What is anoying is that this was working without any problems for over a month like I said. Nothing changed, but now the connection is dropping

constantly.

Thanks for the help.

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Adam, I don't have much in the way of advice for you. But, the one thing I'd do, if you're using 2.1.72 firmware, downgrade to the 2.1.71 software. 2.1.72 is unsupported. I do know the router does not really terminate connections and if it were a stealth problem it wouldn't work all together. I suspect there may be another problem, may be some sort of session time out or perhaps something to this nature?

Also, if it is a persistent issue, give the SBSC a call. But I suspect this won't be easily recreated or even possible from their point of view but may be some ideas that stem up.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for the Reply Tom,

I already downgraded from .72 to .71 using the same logic, to no avail. Is there a log generated on the sa520w that I could obtain from the router to see what changes are being made durring the day? If not, that's something we need cisco.

Today I swithced off stealth mode, and checked some other settings, I will have to wait and see if this works, i'll keep my fingers crossed, but currently all seems well.

The prolem happened again! I cannot ping or contact the router in anyway from an outside connection. This makes no sense at all. It was working earlier without problems and now it is not responding. I cant think of any settings or components that might cause this strange issue!