cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up vpn on RV215w and RV110w

will232927
Level 1
Level 1

I am thinking about buying one of the 2 routers i have listed above. I have some concerns though.

First off what are the MAJOR diffrences between the two? (they look the same to me)

Do they both contain PPTP and is it simple to configure?

Do i need any kind of special client software?

Can i use my iphone and ipad to connect to the vpn server.

Is there a minium download/upload speed to have a vpn sever?

Please if anyone can give me some help that would be great.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi William. In order to use PPTP VPN, most computers/devices have a built in PPTP client. Both routers support PPTP VPN. Please understand, PPTP is not a permanent connection. It is a client to gateway VPN, not a router to router connection.

The configuration is extremely simple, a matter of ticking the box for PPTP, adding a user name/password and specifying it is a PPTP connection and clicking save. PPTP is extremely light weight, you can have a relatively poor internet connection to support PPTP server and client connectivity. I'd still recommended at least 1 mbit but it can live on lower.

I would recommend you check out the device emulators so you can get a general idea how the devices look.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/onlinedemos

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Sounds great. Will my iPhone/iPad be able to work with this router via vpn.

It depends on what type of client is available for the idevices.  My HP touchpad connects via its built-in pptp client.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

>what are the MAJOR diffrences between the two?

RV215W supports a list of USB dongles for 3G/4G WAN connection.

GroupeIDEEX
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom,

I tryied to configure "easily" a pptp vpn using cisco RV215W router but it seems a little bit more complicated than specified in the documentation.

I enabled the PPTP server and configured the PPTP clients but it doesn't work as wanted.

My PPTP client conncections don't reach the router.

Do you ahve an idea ?

Thanks for your help.

Nordine

What do you mean by 'don't reach the router?'  Are they not seeing the router at all or just not connecting?

Here's what I did to test/learn how the PPTP works on my rv016.  Set up a single IP range for the PPTP and a single user login/password.  Use Windows XP's built-in PPTP client and attempt to conect to your router IP.  In theory this should work immediately.  If not, this is where I would start diagnosing.  Once you get this to work, add more IPs and other logins.