cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN with unmanaged switches

ITtelligent
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys I got a query I want to run past you to see if it's doable.

We have a site which has 2 internet connections, one for VOIP and one for Data. They have gotten a faster service now and want to remove the VOIP internet line and use their phones over the data line.

the equipment onsite is:

2x Alloy unmanaged POE Switches 

1x Cisco RV042 router

1x Windows 2008 Server

VOIP: 192.168.1.0/24

Data: 192.168.2.0/24

Gateway = 192.168.X.1

So my idea is to use the spare NIC on the windows server and connect it to Port 3 on the RV042 and connect the switch to Port 4. Place them both on a separate VLAN to the main LAN and run a DHCP server on the Windows server.

I've created a 2nd subnet on the RV042 and a DHCP scope on the windows server, and see the secondary NIC to the VOIP network but when testing I was being served IP addresses on the data network.

My thinking was it didn't necessarily matter than the POE switches are unmanaged as so long as the RV042 is isolating the ports from each other there that should serve as the deliminator between the two networks.

Any feedback?

3 Replies 3

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

just for testing purposes, If you take a laptop stick it in your voice vlan with a static IP, can you ping the default gateway, and can you ping an IP address in the Data VLan?  if so  your vlans and IP addresses are correct.  and the problem is with your DHCP addresses receiving a request on the wrong vlan and dishing the incorrect IP address. 

If you unplug the primary NIC on your server, does it work then?

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thanks for replying Dennis, from my laptop when I tested the other day I was able to ping the gateway on both vlans, this was when i was served DHCP on the data VLAN though and did not try statically.

Another thing I forgot to note, when I enabled the secondary NIC on the server on the data vlan that disrupted communication for other users to the printers shared on the server as well ad the DNS server. I just disabled the 2nd NIC again as I didn't have any more time to continue to troubleshoot.

The 2nd NIC did have a default gateway set, and I did not set any firewall rules to tell the 2 VLANs to not be able to reach each other

put you laptop in the voice vlan with a static and see if you you can ping across to your dhcp servers IP address.

also consider using usinh DHCP relay, so just leave your windows dhcp server connected with one NIC and one single IP and let the router do the relay

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=9387aa061b8d4569b5197f52800a7edd_IPv4_DHCP_Relay_Configuration.xml&pid=2&converted=0

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.