Views
Helpful
Replies

1 site having problems with a server

ohareka70
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have a weird problem on my network.  I have over 60 sites across the WAN but they all come back to one datacentre for their applications.  1 site cant access email this last 2 days even though they can ping the exchange server from their pc.  The ohter 59 sites can all ping exchange and get their emails.

For this one site i got the users to reboot their pcs and then i got the router (cisco 2911) rebooted.  But still the same.  The users are connected to 2 switches and 2 Ciscp AP devices on site.  We have IPS signatures running on the router.

Any ideas what to look at next if ping and traceroute to the user pcs are fine from the Datacentre.

regards,

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cflory
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried doing a telnet to a particular TCP port, for which your Exchange server is listening on (specifically, those that apply to mail)?

Micro$oft keeps changing ports it seems, so I'm not sure what ports are in use these days.  However, you could go to your Exchange server (or bug the admin) and have them do a 'netstat -an | find "ESTABLISHED" and see what current ports have activity....then try to connect to the server from your one problem site, on that particular TCP port.

e.g. 'telnet '

If you do it from the router, you can specify the source interface as your LAN, should you have any routing/ACL restrictions.

HTH!

-Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

cflory
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried doing a telnet to a particular TCP port, for which your Exchange server is listening on (specifically, those that apply to mail)?

Micro$oft keeps changing ports it seems, so I'm not sure what ports are in use these days.  However, you could go to your Exchange server (or bug the admin) and have them do a 'netstat -an | find "ESTABLISHED" and see what current ports have activity....then try to connect to the server from your one problem site, on that particular TCP port.

e.g. 'telnet '

If you do it from the router, you can specify the source interface as your LAN, should you have any routing/ACL restrictions.

HTH!

-Chris

Chris,

I was able to ping, traceroute and telnet to the exchange server from the LAN.  We found the problem.  The router nearest to this LAN was dropping OSPF adjacancies.  Fixing that resolved the issue.

thanks

Kevin

I'm glad you got it figured out.  Thanks for the rating.

-Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card