Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-C host cannot ping same vlan

nyi gbe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have this 2960-C where two host are directly connected onto, both are on the same vlan. The host are identically using the network adapter,etc. Both can ping the vlan int but only one of them can ping the other host: host "A" can ping host "B" but host "B" cannot ping hos "A". arp and mac table seems to be correct. I cannot figure out what the issue could be yet I am using a very small and basic config. Can u pls help?

Nyi  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It does not sound like the issue is with the Switch, but you can try connecting the PC to any other available port on it. Also, you can try connecting a different PC on the previosly used port.

Use the command "show mac-address table" to see the Switch's CAM table is properly learning the PC's Mac Address.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
if you use windows and cannot ping PC then try to disable windows firewall

sure but it does not seem to be the issue, is the switch defective? As I mentinned above only one of PC in the same vlan can ping the other one. Could it be arp or mac add related? Thanks.

It does not sound like the issue is with the Switch, but you can try connecting the PC to any other available port on it. Also, you can try connecting a different PC on the previosly used port.

Use the command "show mac-address table" to see the Switch's CAM table is properly learning the PC's Mac Address.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards.

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

It's the Windows Firewall on your PCs
There's no issue on the switch considering it can pass traffic 

Disable the firewall on your PCs
If that's linux, make sure ICMP is allowed inbound on the PC that cannot be ping-ed (using 'iptables')

PS: Please try this isolation first before declaring anything

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you take A & B off the switch and connect them together, can they ping one another?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card