Views
Helpful
Replies

2960G Question

chris.mcpeak
Level 1
Level 1

:-o

I have a new 2960G switch setup and I'm unable to ping my laptop, which is connected to a hub via int g0/1 of the switch? I can ping the switch from my lapton, but i can't ping my laptop from the switch ? I've double checked that there is no ACL enabled. I can telnet to the switch as well. What am I missing?

Thx.

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

chris.mcpeak wrote:

:-o

I have a new 2960G switch setup and I'm unable to ping my laptop, which is connected to a hub via int g0/1 of the switch? I can ping the switch from my lapton, but i can't ping my laptop from the switch ? I've double checked that there is no ACL enabled. I can telnet to the switch as well. What am I missing?

Thx.

Chris

There is probably a personal firewall running on your laptop.

Jon

Post your config.  Most common mistake is VLAN 1 (by default is disabled) should be enabled and firewall.

Thanks for the reply. No, firewall enabled on laptop

And VLAN 1 is enabled?

chris.mcpeak wrote:

Chris

If you can ping and telnet into the switch from your laptop then that proves that the switch knows how to get back to your laptop.

So if you can't ping the laptop from the switch then assuming no acls as you say  either

1) the source of the ping from the switch is not the same IP as the IP on the switch you are pinging/telnetting to. However with a 2960G switch there should only be 1 layer 3 vlan interface

2) something is blocking the incoming connection on the laptop

Jon

Jon is right on target.. I have faced similar issues where I did not have external software firewalls installed on my laptop, but had left my windows firewall settings on.. once i disabled windows firewall settings , i was able to ping the laptop.. just to troubleshoot, can u try putting another laptop and see if you are able to ping ?

Raj

Chris,

Jon is right if you are able to telnet into switch then the communication is clear between switch and laptop,Genrally in build firewall are been intergarted with windows OS like vista,so try stop the services of windows firewall and even any antivirus services to from services.msc and then check that are you able to ping laptop or not.

Hope to help

Ganesh.H

ashu_genius
Level 1
Level 1

must be possible that there will be firewall is enable whether it is windows or firewall that comes with the antivirus plz confirm it . and ping again to your laptop again and also plz confirm your VLAN .

If you don't have Windows firewall, you don't happen to have the Cisco VPN client installed on your laptop do you?

If you have, there is a stateful firewall enabled by default embedded in the client which will give you exactly those symptoms - i.e. you can ping devices from the laptop but you can't ping the laptop from anywhere else. This can be disabled from within the Cisco VPN client.

Pete

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card