cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

29xx router performance

modulis.ca
Level 1
Level 1

https://supportforums.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/3793884-139096/routerperformance.pdf

In the document: Do you know why the 29xx series and any other G2 routers do not have any performance figures for process switching?

Thanks for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Do you know why the 29xx series and any other G2 routers do not have any performance figures for process switching?

The team that started this document got, according to someone inside Cisco, "dissolved".

Check attached document for the information you seek.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Do you know why the 29xx series and any other G2 routers do not have any performance figures for process switching?

The team that started this document got, according to someone inside Cisco, "dissolved".

Check attached document for the information you seek.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it this evening.

Thanks for the ratings.

Hi Leo,

I want to know the document《Portable Product Sheets – Routing Performance》say the Router 2901 Fast/CEF Switching

is 167.42Mbps,this number means half duplex one direction traffice or full duplex  two directions ?

Values expressed are in HALF duplex and without any encryption.

If you want full duplex OR with encryption, then half the value.

Take the full value and factor is by "4" and you get a value expressed in full duplex and with encryption.

NOTE:  I don't work with Cisco so the "true" value with encryption is not necessarily half but this gives you a very good indication.  Most of the time with encryption you take 40% value (depending on the model).  But again, half is a very good and conservative number.

Thank you so much for your so quick reply.

Sorry Leo, One more question, when I think whether this router satisfy my WAN line need, How can I compare the Router

performance with the WAN bandwidth.

I mean, for example, I have a WAN line, the input bandwidth and the output bandwidth  are both 100Mbps.

Should I compare 100Mbps with 167.42Mbps or 200Mbps...?

Should I compare 100Mbps with 167.42Mbps or 200Mbps...?

Depends on what you are using.  I mean, let's say I have a 100 Mbps HOME internet.  I won't be foolish to compare it with a 100 Mbps Corporate line.

So in your case, safe bet, for office use, is 100 Mbps x 4 (double for full duplex and double for encryption).

If you don't intend to do encryption, then x2 will do fine.

it is for office use .

So , if the input bandwidth and the output bandwidth are both 100Mbps .

And encryption is needed .

I need a at least 400Mbps Performance Router like 3925 , 426.49Mbps ?

Cause 167.42Mbps ,  2901 is obvious not suitable.

3925 or 3925E would be good but on the proviso your WAN link won't go any higher.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The last page of the document reference Leo provided, provides Cisco recommendations depending on throughput needs.  Do note, Cisco's recommendations tend to be very conservative.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card