cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4451X VLAN interface

westj
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure VLAN interfaces on a 4451X and have issue. I can configure subinterfaces, but I want to configure a real VLAN interface like this:

B12_3925(config)#int vlan 11
*Jan 11 21:17:20: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan11, changed state to down
B12_3925(config-if)#IP add 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0

Am I missing something? This should be very simple.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The 4451-X is a router, therefore, working with VLANs is different to switches. Creating an interface Vlan would only make sense if you had a switching module installed into this router and had some of its interfaces configured as switchports in the particular VLAN. Otherwise, the only way to work with VLANs attached to the routed interfaces of this router is to create subinterfaces.

Keep in mind: A router can have multiple routed interfaces and each of them can terminate an independent set of VLANs. To a router, simply saying "VLAN 11" does not mean anything, as that VLAN can be used on multiple routed ports and their subinterfaces. That's why the style of interface Vlan is not used with routers without switching modules installed because it is ambiguous.

Feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The 4451-X is a router, therefore, working with VLANs is different to switches. Creating an interface Vlan would only make sense if you had a switching module installed into this router and had some of its interfaces configured as switchports in the particular VLAN. Otherwise, the only way to work with VLANs attached to the routed interfaces of this router is to create subinterfaces.

Keep in mind: A router can have multiple routed interfaces and each of them can terminate an independent set of VLANs. To a router, simply saying "VLAN 11" does not mean anything, as that VLAN can be used on multiple routed ports and their subinterfaces. That's why the style of interface Vlan is not used with routers without switching modules installed because it is ambiguous.

Feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

Makes sense, the switch module is on order.

Thank you

Hi,

You are welcome! :)

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card