cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 SUP ENGINE

h_hammad
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone help me in what is the protocol used between both sup engine ? and how both sup engine in 6500 communciate to have replicate routing information ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi there,

if you refer to communication between redundant supervisors in the same chassis they use the EoBC (Ethernet out of cand channel) and they get synchronized by means of a protocol called SLP (Serial link protocol).

No need to study that as it is specific to Cat6500/7600 architecture. I doubt you would find useful information anyway.

Other internal protocol used for management (going through eobc) are:

SCP (to communicate from Sup to linecards - used to program TCAMs)

IPC  (to communicate to IOS CPU)

RPC (to communicate between RP and SP using IPC)

etc.

Riccardo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

It sounds like you're talking about VSL. You will need to configure a VSL link to setup this replication.

http://inetpro.org/wiki/Virtual_Switch_System

Hope that helps.

Hi there,

if you refer to communication between redundant supervisors in the same chassis they use the EoBC (Ethernet out of cand channel) and they get synchronized by means of a protocol called SLP (Serial link protocol).

No need to study that as it is specific to Cat6500/7600 architecture. I doubt you would find useful information anyway.

Other internal protocol used for management (going through eobc) are:

SCP (to communicate from Sup to linecards - used to program TCAMs)

IPC  (to communicate to IOS CPU)

RPC (to communicate between RP and SP using IPC)

etc.

Riccardo

Thanks Riccardo , Great information

Thanks John , I am taling about same chasies sup engine , Thanks any way for the help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card