cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871w Configuration Guide

jay.johnson1
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anything available on the net on how to set up an 871w other than George Ou's templates at techrepublic? I'm looking for something a little more on the "hold my hand" side of things...

Jay

Certified: CCNA (R/S, Security, Voice), CCDA, CCNP (R/S)
5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Jay

What features you are planning to have in your router ?

regds

I'm looking at terminating a vlan to my 871w that will allow my internal subnet to talk to the remote LAN on the other side of the tunnel. Also, I'm lookin to use the wireless feature set (including wireless vlan) as well.

Jay

If I've failed to mention, I am using my 871w on a cable modem connection. The WAN port of the router is plugged into the ethernet port of the cable modem.

Another problem I'm having is that the smd won't launch. I've downgraded from 2.3.1 to 2.3 and it's still not launching.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could post a simple "start to finish" config because this is precisely what I do for people at www.linksysinfo.org under the moniker "doclarge); I'm switching over to IOS because I'm actively pursuing my ccna after "playing" with it for the last 2yrs. Basically, I take the "guesswork" out of configurations because people have jobs they need to accomplish and don't have time for hunt and search, otherwise, they wouldn't be in forums such as this looking for help. It works much better if people can grab a "click and shoot" config that gets them out of the woods and allows them time to go back over it later and assess what they need to do.

I need the following "basic" config if anyone can help:

1) Configuration of one wireless vlan for local wireless clients

2) Description of how to set default gateway and dns servers (I assume it's done as you do in a typical IOS router)

3) Simple vlan setup

I'm only asking this because I'm pressed for time and I'm sure "somebody" knows how to do this. Again, if I could figure this out, I would have by now :)

Little help please...

Jay

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card