cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

877W, SDM Express and getting it going...

davidrawle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am a network engineer and am trying to commission my very first Cisco - an 877W.

I have run into a major problem with SDM Express.

SDM Express starts up and runs fine. I answer all the questions properly and end up at the confirmation page. Everything is checked and I click 'Finish'.

That's it - one dead router.

It says it takes a while to load, so left it for 30 mins and power cycled it. None of the configuration I entered is in there, it's still a factory default.

Tried it on 2 PCs - Win XP Pro SP2, no firewall, no anti-virus. LAN cable (tried a few of those).

Tried it in IE and Firefox on both machines.

Tried a new power supply.

Tried it on Linux and Mac - doesn't like either of those.

Anyone had the same or got a fix? Is it the router or SDM?

I have had a replacement router - both behave the same way.

(My reseller is foxed and Cisco don't offer support :-()

Thanks,

David

25 Replies 25

This is what I have got so far...

I think I have set up the WAN (Annex-A Adsl, 0/38)

Can't actually connect to the WAN to test as I have no idea whether my WLAN is live or secure

All I need to get going is:

ADSL --> Router --> LAN clients + WLAN (WPA-PSK) clients

Should be simple.

How on earth would you do DMZ, port forwarding, use FTP-ALG, SIP-ALG, VPN (lan-lan), VPN single clients?

This router obviously has more power than I need, how do I just get an overview of how to set it up without reading 100's pages of incomprehensible technical babble?

Having spent 2 whole days on it, I think it's time to give up, pack it in its box and send it back to where it came from...

Well, you are almost there.

if you paste the below, that will simplify the configuration. radio is keep shut as you are worried about it.

I've put a port forwarding for 8080 outside to 80 inside. If you have more addresses router and what expose a a full host, it's a single line command too.

ip dhcp pool sdm-pool1

no import all

dns-server 195.74.113.58 195.74.113.62

!

!

interface FastEthernet0

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet1

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet2

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet3

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface Dot11Radio0

shutdown

!

interface Dialer0

ppp ipcp route-default

interface BVI1

no ip access-group 100 in

no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0

!

no ip http server

no access-list 100

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.7.20 80 interface BVI1 8080

The ALGs are all automatic. VPN, can post an example later once you got going.

Really?

I just tried connecting to the internet (quiet at 10pm here) and it connected but could not resolve via DNS from connected clients. (e.g. traceroute www.ibm.com). Couldn't find out how to query the router for its thoughts about DNS, life or anything. Is this fixed by the first 3 lines above? I was expecting the router to give my clients its address (192.168.7.1) as the DNS server rather than my ISPs.

Do I just issue these command in telnet?

WLAN does need to work eventually under WPA2-PSK - docs are a complete mystery - something about a MAC, something about a RADIUS server which I don't have or want.

Going home to get some sleep - 18 hours with the 877W yesterday and about 14 today... no lunch, dinner, coffee for 2 days has taken its toll. (Plus several arguments and discussions with the idiots that sold me this got me really wound up too).

If I die early, Cisco will be to blame ;-)

Supposed to be doing a beta test for the new AVM Fritz!Box firmware today too...that didn't happen.

OK.

Thanks for all the help...

I have given up, router being returned.

I won't be installing Cisco anythings until/unless they get the SDM working and create a *secured* wireless network as the default.

I do wonder how Cisco have got so big, same way as Microsoft, I guess.

Again, I understand your frustration. If you have decided already, doesn't matter, thank you for the nice rating and good luck.

Now for the issues:

DNS done by the router:

ip dns server

ip domain-lookup

no ip name-server ...

dhcp pool

dns server

int dialer1

ppp ipcp dns request

For WPA/PSK, I can give you a reply later, as I've haven't done this config yet.

Thanks P,

It is all packed up and awaiting collection.

The lack of ability to configure, Cisco's unwillingness to release firmware/software updates or provide support, my resellers seemingly high charge for a firmware upgrade, the uncertainty of QoS actually being in there , the fear that I will leave the router wide open and the sort of problems people are reporting on these forums has completely put me off.

Life is too short to have to deal with the Microsoft of the hardware world.

Hi David, just let me give some reply to your complaints, without the intent of a sterile discussion, to expose the point of view of Cisco when I was with them, as I don't think it has changed much now:

1. SDM is to be used just for the most basic configuration, anything else must be done by CLI . (Paolo's opinion: SDM is crap and should be avoided).

2. Firmware upgrades and support: It is not free. A support contract must be purchased, even in the initial period. The reason behind that is because the product, being a professional one, has to be installed by a certified cisco partner that has already the necessary knowledge and access to downloads and second/third level support.

3. QoS is absolutely working and as for many other things in networking, cisco was a leader in that. In you case, it was not configured.

4. Years ago, Cisco has aquired Aironet that literally invented wireless ethernet. Then again as provide the broadest range of support for securing wireless. Sorry, it requires training to be used in the full power.

5. Yes, many problems here, but many solutions too, and given for free. Compare to other vendors forums where you see "my router freezes under load and nothing can fix it".

Now, I think that any IT professional has spent time significant time on a product he/she was not familiar with. Usually, the result justifies the invested time. If that was not your case with cisco, is because you had zero exposure to IOS and undertook a task that requires significant experience and knowledge. Consider, there are professionals doing this for a living.

Anyway each one is entitled to his opinion and I wish you best luck. Come back here at any time if you need!

It is indeed a shame to return the product as it will do everything you need it to. But Paolo is right, the SDM is not worth using as very little can be configured using it. It is useful for field engineers to make a basic set-up so that the router can be reached from a central location for further configuration.

Cisco products, like certain other professional products, require a level of training SOHO products don't need to install. But the added flexibility and options make it worth it.

Hi P,

Sorry, didn't mean to sound ungrateful or rude. I really appreciate the help you have given.

I just was expecting one thing and got something completely different and a reseller who wasn't really used to dealing with customers as inexperienced as us.

You never know, I may well try the 877W again one day if I've had a really long holiday and feeling very relaxed. (I actually think I found the doc that may have helped a lot about 30 mins ago http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/857swcg.html)

Thanks once again.

David

Hi David,

Absolutely no rudeness and I appreciate your frank opinions given here. Cisco should learn from cases like you to make the product easier and better documented.

But never waste holiday doing networking :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card