cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

878 and ISDN (thru aux port)

brickaloch
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 878's that I've been trying for some time to configure to use ISDN, without success unfortunately.

It seems that the BRI interface is disabled on these units for dialout (dunno why), so now I'm looking into using an external ISDN TA and connecting that to the AUX port (a configuration that I believe is possible).

Could someone tell me if this will actually work? Any pointers about what type of cable would be required (from the aux port to the TA) would be good too.

Any help greatly appreciated!

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Cisco 878 Router has G.SHDSL as its WAN Port and i dont think you will be able to use that port of ISDN dialout.

Cisco 878

WAN Interface : G.SHDSL

LAN Interface : 4-port 10/100 Mbps managed switch

For dial out on AUX port using a modem do refer this link which is having similar config scenario discussed..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094579.shtml

regds

Thanks for the quick reply :)

The 878 also has a ISDN S/T port, completely seperate from it's G.SHDSL port (which I'm using in a back-to-back dsl setup), but I just can't get the ISDN port to do anything useful.

The link you gave is very helpful though, and it seems to say that what I intend is feasible.

Many thanks!

Hi

Regarding the ISDN problem whats the show isdn status display ?

also can you paste here the relevant BRI port config ?

regds

The units are on a client site and I don't have access to them at the moment, but my config was almost identical to the one described here ...

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=WAN%2C%20Routing%20and%20Switching&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd96928

... and I had the same problems :P

I've just ordered the isdn TAs now and the appropriate cables, so I hope this config will work.

Thanks again for you help :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card