Views
Helpful
Replies

Huge (intermittend) delays and time-outs

connie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have three sites: Site A, which is the main site. The site B and C are in the same city, but different areas.

B and C are each linked to A via 192K dedicated circuits, and linked to each other via a 512K dedicated circuit.

This give us a triagle consisting of three 2620 routers, all with the same IOS version, with no load balancing configured (explicitly).

When I do a ping from site A to a PC at site B, I get delays ranging from 200ms up to 4500ms. The load on this link is 179/255, and my management system (which uses ICMP for testing connectivity) complains about that the hosts on site B is unreachable.

A ping from site A to a PC at site C gets a reply in consistantly less than 20ms! The load on this link is 139=255.

Both remote sites are linked via the same 2620 router on site A.

There are no errors on any of these lines.

Anybody have any ideas on why we would have such poor connectivity to site B, while site C is fine?

We also have VoIP on the link between site B and C (LLQ), which is problematic, until you disable one of the links from either site B or C to site A (does that make sense?).

Any thoughts?

Regards

Connie

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

what kinda circuit you are using up there to connect these locations ?

is it possible for you to post out the output of show interface,show run,show version from all the routers ?

That will help to idenitfy the similarity of IOS codes being used , errors,loading conditions on the interface and also the QOS policies you have defined there in the routers ..

regds

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

It could probably be due to high utilisation on the link. However, you could test the integrity of the link, by doing your pings, when the load on the link is pretty low. If the loading is low, and you still have high latency, let your provider check the link.

With respect to the VoIP, check your routing, it seems to me that you might have assymetric routing (the forward path is different to the return path). With the link between site A and B not too good, this could be affecting the quality of the VoIP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card