Views
Helpful
Replies

887VA timeout whilst configuring

ubyu.net
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Now that I've got the console cable working thanks to a USB adapter, I can access the router fine and the Cisco CP and Hyperterminal software both work fine, however if I try and configure the router via the Cisco CP > Setup a new device... menu option, once I press 'next' on the screen which asks for an IP, subnet, user/pass, it eventually comes up with this error:

readTillMatch: Timeout, max timeout=60000 ms, last device response=[]

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to why it might be doing that? I have manually reset it once already via Hyperterminal and tried again but that still persists in producing that error once I configure it via the Cisco CP software.

Many thanks.

EDIT: Manually configuring it via hyperterminal using the commands given by the device wizard worked instead, and then saving and reloading. However, despite getting the LAN lights to come on now (on the router) and my computer to acknowledge a connection, I can't get it to obtain an IP, nor can I get it to discover the router on 192.168.1.1 if I specify the IP manually for my network connection, using gateway as 192.168.1.1 and my computer's IP as 192.168.1.15 for example.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have to do "show run" to see what is confiugure, then correct.

Note: cisco IOS is not a friedly system. It requires study and is used almost exclusively used by professionals. You mat wast a lot of time and get frustrate if toy try to occasioanlly configure it.

To be honest with you, for home use, I recommend a a router form the small business like, formerly know as Linksys.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have to do "show run" to see what is confiugure, then correct.

Note: cisco IOS is not a friedly system. It requires study and is used almost exclusively used by professionals. You mat wast a lot of time and get frustrate if toy try to occasioanlly configure it.

To be honest with you, for home use, I recommend a a router form the small business like, formerly know as Linksys.

Thanks. After some time and patience I did manage to get it sorted, I had to make a DHCP pool, assign an IP to Vlan1 and some other bits and pieces made it possible for me to connect via LAN to the router . The only thing I am figuring out still is why it sync's with ADSL2+ but doesn't connect, despite specifying the IP address and subnet, and correct VPI/VCI, but I've noticed there's no option for me to specify the gateway IP, which I did on my previous Draytek router, so I'm wondering if that's some part of the problem.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card