cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A Network Advertise in Multiple OSPF Process

Ravi_916
Level 1
Level 1

On R1 i have advertise 1.1.1.1 (Loopback1) in OSPF 100 and OSPF 200, and Even 1.1.1.1 is only advertised in OSPF 200.On R1 i have advertise 1.1.1.1 (Loopback1) in OSPF 100 and OSPF 200, and Even 1.1.1.1 is only advertised in OSPF 200.and On R2 i have advertise 4.4.4.4 (Loopback1) in OSPF 100 and OSPF 200, and where 4.4.4.4 has advertised in only OSPF 100.and On R2 i have advertise 4.4.4.4 (Loopback1) in OSPF 100 and OSPF 200, and where 4.4.4.4 has advertised in only OSPF 100.

My question is: I have advertise a network in multiple OSPF Process at the same time then why the network is advertising in only one OSPF, and how ospf is choosing which OSPF Process?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

For an unknown but probably good reason, Cisco decided that an interface can only be owned/part of a single OSPF process. So in case you match on the same interface via network statements on multiple OSPF process, the first configured process or on a reload the lowest process id number will win the battle for owning the interface.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello
OSPF PID's are local significant so they dont have to be the same on any neighboring routers although it is recommended, and having multiple opsf process on the same router does create multiple databases so this inst recommended unless its required.

These networks are being advertised into the same area so it isn't the process id that is having any influence here its the path cost deciding the route preference via what looks like an additional router between Rtr1-4 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

For an unknown but probably good reason, Cisco decided that an interface can only be owned/part of a single OSPF process. So in case you match on the same interface via network statements on multiple OSPF process, the first configured process or on a reload the lowest process id number will win the battle for owning the interface.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card