cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Able to ping subnet from router but not devices

jrow
Level 1
Level 1

Still newish to networking and currently working on a project and just trying to get some insight on where i may be going wrong. I need to setup 3 lans, and the public addresses needed to be 172.0.10.1; 172.0.20.1; and, 172.0.30.1 respectively for the 3 lans. Currently the devices in each subnet are able to ping one another and it be successful. The routers are able to ping one another successfully, however the devices fail pings when trying to ping from subnet to subnet. When reviewing the hops taking in the event list i recieve the following, in addition i will attach an image and zip file of the packet tracer. Would appreciate any insight to point me in the right direction of where im going wrong in this setup/process.
1. The device sends back an ICMP Host Unreachable message.
2. The device looks up the destination IP address in the CEF table.
3. The CEF table has an entry for the destination IP address.debug subnets.png

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

if you do a 'show ip route' you can see that RIP is not working. You need to add 'version 2' and 'no auto-summary' to the RIP processes on all routers. Attached the revised file.

View solution in original post

BTW, if using RIP, 172.0.x.x is a Class B, and what you've encountered is discontinuous subnets.  Georg's RIPv2 supports classless subnets, so it will work with your subnets.  The alternative, to use RIP, would be to use classful networks.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jrow
Level 1
Level 1

Im unsure why it wasnt saved, however Router1 should have the interface of -
fa0/0 static ipv4 172.0.20.1
s0/0/0 10.0.0.2
s0/0/1 11.0.0.1

Hello,

if you do a 'show ip route' you can see that RIP is not working. You need to add 'version 2' and 'no auto-summary' to the RIP processes on all routers. Attached the revised file.

BTW, if using RIP, 172.0.x.x is a Class B, and what you've encountered is discontinuous subnets.  Georg's RIPv2 supports classless subnets, so it will work with your subnets.  The alternative, to use RIP, would be to use classful networks.

Thank you i will review discountinuous subnets and classful networks to better educate myself on that subject, Thank you and I appreciate the helpful advice.

Thank you i will review the attached file and replicate the steps in current and review proper RIP implementation. Thank you for the helpful advice.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card