cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding interface to vrf

Kelvin Willacey
Level 4
Level 4

Hi I am just getting into vrfs and I am already having trouble, everytime I try to add an interface to the configured vrf, it tells me that the vrf is not configured.

ip vrf TEST

description TESTING VRF

R1(config)interface BVI1

R1(config-if)#ip vrf forwarding TEST

% VRF TEST not configured.

Any ideas? I am running 12.3(14)T7 Advanced Security on an 1841 and by all accounts VRF is supported.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

configure the rd under the vrf.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

configure the rd under the vrf.

Regards.

Alain.

Thanks for the response. Would I need a route distinguisher because I am actually trying to test vrf lite?

Hi,

yes you definitely need one even if you're doing vrf Lite.

edit: I just tried on GNS3 and it worked without specifying RD. Try it anyway because I have seen something about this RD being necessary for the VRF to be created on the net but apparently this is not the case with the 3640 on GNS3 with IOS 12.4(16).

Regards.

Alain.

OK thanks.

Hi what would be the best way to perform ISP failover with the aid of vrf lite? It's a pretty simple setup I am trying in the lab. The router has three connections one LAN and two ISP connections. I have one of the ISP connections in a separate vrf called isp2, the LAN and the other ISP are in the 'global vrf' for lack of a better term.

When the ISP in the 'global vrf' fails obviously no traffic goes to the other vrf unless I add the LAN interface to the isp2 vrf.

Thinking about it can I add the LAN and the primary ISP to the same vrf say isp1 and track the default route so I know when it fails and then import the backup route from the isp2 vrf? Is that possible? Would static nat statements work in this scenario?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card