Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding QOS for ICMP

nfordhk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We would like to add QOS on our router for ICMP for two specific servers. The tunnel is becoming utilized and during this time ICMP packets are dropped alerting monitoring even though we can log into the server over the network fine.

The setup is 2 Routers connecting through a tunnel.

1 Monitoring servers monitors 2 servers at the remote site.

Is there a way to break down a QOS map per an IP basis?                   

4 Replies 4

gfcisco31
Level 1
Level 1

hi mate,

I guess you dont have any service policy attached to the tunnel yet, right ?

If you dont have you can create something like this, very simple setup

Create a class map that matches a ACL with any host to the monitoring server and vice versa. Then a policy map giving priority to the traffic. 

If you have other traffic that needs some kind of special threatment let me know, cause then we need to structure this better.

see ya

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Is there a way to break down a QOS map per an IP basis?                    

On routers, usually yes you can.

That noted, you might find something as shaping for your available bandwidth and using fair-queue also resolves this issue, and others that often arise if some flows congest a path at the expense of other flows.

Hi Joseph,

Could you please show me an example of how I would utilize fair-queue by IP or an example? Did you mean I could use fair-queueing by IP or just in general, yes?

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

An good example would require knowing more about your platforms and configurations.

A general CBWFQ FQ policy would look like:

policy-map sample

class class-default

fair-queue

interface x

service-policy output sample

What I meant was using fair queuing, many congestions issues are resolved without the need to create QoS policies per IP (although depending on the platform/IOS, FQ can be limited to specific IPs).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card