Helpful
Replies

ADSL to Ethernet

Orbiter100
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Just need a little help here,

I have an ADSL connection but I would like to use my Ethernet 871 series Cisco router as my router, so here is the question: if I was to use ADSL 837 cisco router for pass through connection and have my Ethernet 871 series router connected to it for managing wireless dhcp, dns ect. Is this possible? Does anyone have a working configuration sample for pass-through connection?

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sam Smiley
Level 3
Level 3

John,

This isn't exactly what you want; I'm going to include a config for an old 831 that I used to use for a DSL connection. The difference however is that this router is handling the PPPoE/A connection to the ISP. Depending on the equipment your ISP provided you have may be able to turn your router/modem into a bridge device and run everything from the 871. The AT&T Westel devices can do this, it is just another option.

If you are determined to use the 871 for wireless/DHCP you really don't have to use it at a bridge device. Simply add it as a client on the existing LAN and disable DHCP on your existing device. Configure the wireless and your are all set.

Regards,

Sam

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Sam Smiley
Level 3
Level 3

John,

This isn't exactly what you want; I'm going to include a config for an old 831 that I used to use for a DSL connection. The difference however is that this router is handling the PPPoE/A connection to the ISP. Depending on the equipment your ISP provided you have may be able to turn your router/modem into a bridge device and run everything from the 871. The AT&T Westel devices can do this, it is just another option.

If you are determined to use the 871 for wireless/DHCP you really don't have to use it at a bridge device. Simply add it as a client on the existing LAN and disable DHCP on your existing device. Configure the wireless and your are all set.

Regards,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for you suggestion it is very interesting and I shall consider it, also thanks for config sample much appreciated.

Regards

John

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card