Views
Helpful
Replies

Asking for help interpreting an image from my CCNA2 class

VillaC12
Level 1
Level 1

43621f2b3b8907b3d5a3c01e0e073858.png

Hello. I am nearing the end of my CCNA 2 class, and I am on the routing concepts chapter.

This image was on part of the module, and I cannot for the life of me interpret what it is trying to tell me. It has no key to go along with what the numbers mean.

I understand that they are entrys on the routing table, and from what I can tell it is the output you might get from the command

R1# show IP route.

I apologize if similar questions have been asked before, or if this is a silly question with a really obvious answer, but I am not really sure what to search to get an answer on how to interpret this image. Thank you for the help

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ammahend
VIP
VIP

this routing table entry indicates that traffic destined for the

10.0.4.0/24 network

should be sent to the next-hop

IP address 10.0.3.2

via the Serial0/1/1 interface, using a OSPF routing protocol with a metric of 110 and a cost of 50. The entry was last updated  13 minutes, and 29 seconds ago.

its same logic for IPv4 or IPv6

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

"Metric of 110 (This has not been discussed in my class, i am not sure what this means)"

- no, this is administrative distance, in short AD, it tells how believable is this route based on Cisco pre-defined scale of connected, static routes and routing protocols (see scale map ). Any static routes have AD of 1 and are better then OSPF AD 110, Lower number is better, all directly connected routes are the best with AD of 0

Yes, 4- Cost or metric 50 - this is OSFP cost or metric for this route/network at this router. 

5 and 7 tells u how to reach that network, what is next hop IP or exit interface.

in short, network xyz is OSPF route with cost 50 that you can reach via x IP or via serial interface xyx

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ammahend
VIP
VIP

this routing table entry indicates that traffic destined for the

10.0.4.0/24 network

should be sent to the next-hop

IP address 10.0.3.2

via the Serial0/1/1 interface, using a OSPF routing protocol with a metric of 110 and a cost of 50. The entry was last updated  13 minutes, and 29 seconds ago.

its same logic for IPv4 or IPv6

-hope this helps-

Thank you! If I am understanding this right,

1- OSPF routing protocol

2- Designates what traffic it will route

3- Metric of 110 (This has not been discussed in my class, i am not sure what this means)

4- Cost of 50 (Also has not been discussed)

5- Next hop destination for the traffic designated in 2

6- When the entry was last updated

7- The interface that this route is routing on

"Metric of 110 (This has not been discussed in my class, i am not sure what this means)"

- no, this is administrative distance, in short AD, it tells how believable is this route based on Cisco pre-defined scale of connected, static routes and routing protocols (see scale map ). Any static routes have AD of 1 and are better then OSPF AD 110, Lower number is better, all directly connected routes are the best with AD of 0

Yes, 4- Cost or metric 50 - this is OSFP cost or metric for this route/network at this router. 

5 and 7 tells u how to reach that network, what is next hop IP or exit interface.

in short, network xyz is OSPF route with cost 50 that you can reach via x IP or via serial interface xyx

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card