cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR-1001HX and BGP

gcdudley
Level 1
Level 1

We have a pair of ASR-1001HXs and each is receiving a full BGP table from their 4 neighbors (3 eBGP and 1 iBGP).  This platform is capable of 3.5 million IPV4 routes with 16GB of memory (which we have).  I am wondering if I'm hitting the 3.5 million limit with the 1001-HXs.  I'm not sure how the prefixes count against the route limit.  Does each prefix received per neighbor count against that 3.5 million limit?

At this moment, these are the prefix counts for the routers - 892390, 894041, 894037 and 896696 = 3,577,164.

This is the other router - 892377, 894006, 894002 and 896679 = 3,577,064.

As you can see, the numbers are too close to ignore.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think the sum of all prefix learn from all neighbor not must exceed the limit 3.5 million. 
the limit is memory location and it fix.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

I think the sum of all prefix learn from all neighbor not must exceed the limit 3.5 million. 
the limit is memory location and it fix.

gcdudley
Level 1
Level 1

Doesn't only the best path prefix get installed into the routing table?  If I take a random prefix, there is only 1 route when I issue

show ip route x.x.x.x.   If I issue show ip bgp x.x.x.x,

I have 7 paths but the best path is the same as what is in the routing table.

but 7 path and only one path select as best, 
there is something wrong here, the neighbor must advertise the best path, unless one of your neighbor is route-server ?

gcdudley
Level 1
Level 1

We are an end user of BGP.  2 of our eBGP sessions per router are with neighbors in the same AS.  One neighbor is a 10Gb/s link that we prefer and the other is a 1Gb/s backup.  Our 3rd eBGP session is to a commercial ISP that is another 1Gb/s backup.

If only 1 route is installed in the routing table, how can I be hitting the 3.5 million limit?

can I see

show ip bgp x.x.x.x

the prefix with 7 path. 

gcdudley
Level 1
Level 1

@MHM Cisco World- I had a question out to TAC as well.  They are telling me the limit DOES apply against all BGP learned prefixes not just what's installed in the IPV4 table.  It seems to be another case of marketing literature not being clear.

Thank you for your help!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card