Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR903 Switchover Test

maverick0
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I need to perform a traffic test during a switchover using the ASR903 platform.

I would like to know how is the best way to perform the traffic test because when I using ICMP, the traffic is punted to the CPU and during the switchover process the CPU is busy and traffic is dropped out.

Based on documentation, during the switchover process the data plane traffic is not affected and must be forwarded, but the control plane is not available until the process has been done.

Do you have any ideas how can I perform test?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpassala
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ICMP traffic is punted on CPU only if destination address matches any ASR903 interface IP. If CEF is enabled any transit traffic should be handled by forwarding engine and not punted to CPU.

You should perform tests generating traffic between 2 end hosts with ASR903 in the middle as a transit. Any additional consideration depends on the topology/L2-L3 configuration on the node.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mpassala
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ICMP traffic is punted on CPU only if destination address matches any ASR903 interface IP. If CEF is enabled any transit traffic should be handled by forwarding engine and not punted to CPU.

You should perform tests generating traffic between 2 end hosts with ASR903 in the middle as a transit. Any additional consideration depends on the topology/L2-L3 configuration on the node.

smart answer

@mpassala 

Thank you for your reply.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card