Views
Helpful
Replies

AutoQOS vs AutoQOS voip

omarmontes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys!

Does anyone know whats the difference between "auto qos" and "auto qos voip" (both for Layer 3)? As far as im concerned, "auto qos" also handles voice traffice, so im kinda lost here.

Any help really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

21 Replies 21

In it's initial release autoqos only provisoned for a VOIP configuration. With the second release autoqos enterprise provisioned 10 of the 11 base classes that Cisco use in their QOS designs and deployments and VOIP is one of these classes.

So autoqos is a superset of autoqos voip, that's all. Autoqos utilises nbar to analyse the traffic on your network so it can work out which applications are running and then allocate to the relevant class. Obviously autoqos voip did not need this as you were simply provisioning for VOIP.

As Edison points out autoqos is only available for routers and not switches.

Jon

Omar,

We addressed your query. I don't see the reason of your complain if we are having a side conversation while addressing your issue.

As I stated, the 'auto qos voip..' is a switch related command. 'auto qos...' is a router related command

The command reference explains this on details.

thats how i knew they existed and that you tried them on a switch

This is where we don't agree. You can't try both on the switch. I posted the output from a switch and I couldn't hit enter until I entered 'auto qos voip.. with options'.

You dont see a reason? Maybe because this is a technical forum as far as im concerned, there must be some place to discuss netiquette or forum features.

"As I stated, the 'auto qos voip..' is a switch related command. 'auto qos...' is a router related command"

Again, both of them are router commands, maybe I'm not explaining myself.. those are 2 separate features:

One of them is Enterprise AutoQOS... enabled on routers by:

auto discovery qos (to start NBAR)

auto qos (to automatically generate policies)

The other features AutoQOS-VOIP, enabled on routers by:

auto qos voip (to automatically generate policies).

I know you cant try them on a switch, because those are NOT switch features, thats why i stated on the first post that this are Layer 3 features, and in another post i explained that both of the commands are entered on a router... but maybe the post got lost in all your off topic discussion

I think the confusion came in because you said L3 which obviously includes L3 switches as well.

You are correct that there is a separate place to discuss forum ideas so i can post there if i want. But NetPro is well known for it's friendly approach between correspondents as well as hopefully solving technical issue so i'm not sure that it's such a big problem having a side discussion. It doesn't happen all that often, i promise

I'm hoping  my last but one post has answered some of your questions.

Jon

Agree Jon, and thanks for you insight. And I agree about the friendly enviroment, and thats why I think complaining about your quotes was really unnecesary.

I just felt that my question got lost between that and a quickly response saying that the command I was talking about doesn't exist

thats why i stated on the first post that this are Layer 3 features, and in another post i explained that both of the commands are entered on a router..

And both posts, you never mentioned router - all you said was "Layer 3".

We took it as the switch was a "Layer 3" port or had "Layer 3" functionalities. Perhaps, next time - you can explain the situation a bit better.

"

let me get this straigth.. its a router command, a Layer 3 one

Router(config-if)#auto qos ?
  voip  Configure AutoQoS for VoIP

Router(config-if)#auto qos voip ?
  trust  Trust the DSCP marking

Router(config-if)#auto discovery qos ?
  trust  Trust the DSCP marking

NOT related to autoqos for LAN switches.

"

That wasn't clear enough?

Even if you thought i meant a "layer 3 function" or " a router switch port" its the same... thats exactly what I meant haha, a layer 3 function AND a routed port..

It seems more like you just got on a switch, wrote the commands, got an error and replied " nah.. doesnt exist"

But thats ok... Jon got it right

thanks!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card