Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Management on Cisco Router

alexloh83
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I am trying to figure out this for quite sometime, but still cannot find the answer.

I am trying to use GNS to simulate this, but a bit difficult to achieve this. That why I post this discussion and hope someone can help.

May I know can the Cisco Router handle below requirement? Example Cisco 2811

1) Bandwidth management based on IP Address or Subnet? For example; allocate 1Mbps (CIR) and 10Mbps (BIR) to 172.16.1.10

2) Can the Cisco Router control the inbound and outbound bandwidth?

3) Can you share the sample config?

7 Replies 7

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Alex,

Yes, Cisco IOS allows you to limit the rate of data sent out an interface but this is usually tied to QoS. IP SLA may be a good start for your test. Keep in mind you have several options. Option 1 is traffic originating on the router (2811) usually with some sort of application like IP SLA; which allows you to set the bit rate. Option 2, traffic passing through the router. Traffic passing through the router is -in my mind- a little harder to control at a specified rate. If the device sending to 172.16.1.10 is controlled (controlled output), then it would be easy for the router to only forward as it receives.

In my lab, I use VLC to set the bit rate at a very low rate and this works wonderfully.

I don't have any specific configs for you but if you research IP SLA you will be on the right track for traffic originating and leaving the router.

HTH

Frank

alexloh83
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Fsebera.

I will try to explore more about this.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Video  streaming often just needs a guarantee of sufficient bandwidth that  packets are not lost.  It's also often tolerant of packet delay and/or  jitter.  Do know, video streams are further often very bursty, so they  need sufficient queuing.

#1 yes, although setting CIR and BIR might not satisify what you want

#2 yes, inbound policing only, outbound policing or shaping

#3 how depends on your IOS vesion, and there might be several ways to accomplish

One might be usage of CBWFQ with policing

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a3a25.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t2/feature/guide/ftpoli.html

Thanks for your reply Joseph, I am still trying

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you could post more specific information; often more specific suggestions might be offered that might assist in your "trying".

Hi Jeseph,

Its very diffcult to try it using GNS (Dont know how to simulate using GNS), so I am trying to find a router to simulate it.

What I want to achieve is to make the Cisco Router like Allot or Packeteer?

I can control the bandwidth for particular subnet or IP address and assign CIR and BIR to them?

Example; I allocated 10Mbps(upload and download) to 10.0.0.1 and they are allow to bursable to 20Mbps.

Hope you understand what I want If you familiar GNS, can you also advise me how to do the test and what software I need to generate the traffic? Do i need to use two or more PC?

Thanks you very much

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It's difficult to mimic all the capabilities of a product like Packeteer on a Cisco Router.  Routers are designed to route traffic while something like the Packeteer appliance "massages" traffic flows.

On Cisco routers, as I've previously described, there are various QoS features, but something as simple as your 10 Mbps CIR with a 20 Mbps BIR might not function exactly as you desire.

Cisco router QoS features, though, should allow you to target an address block (source and/or destination) as a selection criteria.

I've used GNS but not with any traffic generators or (external?) PCs.  So, I'm unable to make any suggestion for that.

I could provide you a configuration snipet to police or perhaps shape selected traffic, but again, I don't think it will perform as you might desire.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: