Views
Helpful
Replies

BDI to Sub Interface | ICMP Not Routing, ARP Working | IOS XE and XR

TrivialPants
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have run into an issue when attempting to bridge together an IOS XE router and IOS XR router using a NEXUS switch. I think the issue may lie on the BDI interface on the IOS XE router, but I haven't gotten a chance to isolate or remove it from the equation. 

I have attached a drawing showing some code snippets and the overall diagram. Basically I am hoping to accomplish a tagged link across the NEXUS backbone switch between the IOS XE BDI and the IOS XR sub interface ports. 

I am almost there, in that, I can see the ARP traffic, but I cannot ping across the IP addresses for some reason. 

I came across another similar post and tried the same solution steps to no success: the notes mentioned removing the encapsulation dot1q  statement from the BDI. I have done that and I still don't have anything but ARP. 

Here is the referenced post:https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/bdi-not-passing-traffic-to-directly-connected-interfaces/td-p/3737083

And here is my diagramcisco_question_031222.png

2 Replies 2

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I think your configs looks ok, so just to confirm. Have you configured the vlan 50 in the 9300 ? Without the vlan the switch will not forward frames belonging to it.

Can you try to change "service instance 1 ethernet" to "service instance 50 ethernet"

/Mikael

Thanks @mlund - I have now tried changing the service instance to 'service instance 50 ethernet' as well and still no luck.

I also verified that the VLAN is enabled on the NEXUS. I also went as far as to disable it. When I do that, I no longer see the ARP traffic at all/MAC addresses being learned. Then, I re-enabled it, and I can see the ARP and MAC being relearned, but still not able to ping across. 

I do not have anything blocking on the firewall or ACL. 

I have tried another method where I totally avoid using the BDI and that seems to allow pinging across, but it will not allow more layer three traffic on the interface. In this case, I just put the l3 interface directly on the port on the ASR 900 router instead of the BDI. I left everything else the same except I put it's port on the NEXUS into access port mode into the VLAN 50.

Thanks! 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card