Views
Helpful
Replies

Best OSPF Area Type- Spoke Router

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

I have a DMVPN site A I want to include in our OSPF routing domain. The site uses the local Internet breakout for browsing and there is a default route for this.

I don't want the site router to have the full routing table as in reality at the moment there is only one way out towards the rest of the WAN. However I already have a default route for the Internet traffic. There is the possibility the site could eventually have other networks hanging off of it also.

The site A router will have an adjacency with the WAN Provider DMVPN router who will be redistributing BGP into OSPF. What would you suggest as the best Area Type for this? Does it make sense to just have the full table in Site A's router? Site A will be in its own area.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Hello.

If we are talking about DMVPN phase 2, then the best would be to use totally NSSA, but in this case you have a problem with default gateway for local Internet breakout.

>>The site A router will have an adjacency with the WAN Provider DMVPN router who will be redistributing BGP into OSPF.

Sorry, didn't get it - does your remote spoke learn prefixes via BGP and does redistribution into OSPF? If so, it could be good idea to use iBGP in your DMVPN.

If you want to extend OSPF over DMVPN cloud, you could use NSSA, doing summary into the area on DMVPN Hub (for all your internal prefixes).

PS: full table on the spoke is not needed, unless you plan to have some other exit point on the site.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card