cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to advertise a default router to a stub?

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I am setting up a small hub/spoke network with EIGRP as the routing protocol, what is the best way to advertise from the hub the a default route?  On the spokes I'm just using the 'eigrp stub' command.

Thanks

17 Replies 17

Hello,

I think that in last releases you can not set the AD for the summary route in the "ip summary-address". It is deprecated.

Please read the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute_eigrp/command/reference/ire_s1.html#wp1059226

Please use the router command (aditionally to the ip summary-addres command in the interface mode):

summary-metric network-address subnet-mask  [bandwidth delay reliability load mtu ] [distanceadministrative-distance]

Now, you can set the metric and the AD in the same command. Metric is not derivated from the subnet metrics.

Regards.

Hello Antonio,

Oh, yes, you are right - thank you for pointing this out! Rated as deserved.

I went through the Command Reference and it talks only about IOS-XE. I wonder if the same change is going to happen in ordinary IOS and around which version.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Andy

If the summery or redistribute options are not feasible and this is a simple hub and spoke setup then the use of the candidate default route is still an option to consider even though as Peter has so rightly stated its not best practice but this can be controlled by the default information in/out command on the receiving spoke routers.

If again this isnt feasable and and you still require an automated way for advertising a default route you coulduse another routing protocol like RIP / OSPF  (default-information )  or even ODR which requires no routing protocol only CDP

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card