Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Advertise-map with route-map out

I am experiencing this strange behavior when configuring advertise-map with route-map out filtering.
From my lab testing, advertise-map only work with route-map out if they reference the same route-map or if there is no route-map out at all. For example: 

neig 1.2.3.4 advertise-map A exist-map B
neig 1.2.3.4 route-map A out

This will stop announcing network referenced by route-map A if network referenced by route-map B is not received.

The problem is when you configure the following:

neig 1.2.3.4 advertise-map A exist-map B
neig 1.2.3.4 route-map C out

This do not work. No matters if the networks referenced by route-map A are excluded or included in route-map C. 

If included, then the conditional advertisment do not work, I mean, if network referenced by route-map B is not received, the net referenced by route-map A is still announced because of the route-map C allows it.

If excluded, even when the net referenced by route-map B exist, the net referenced by route-map A is filtered by route-map C.

Can any of you can confirm if this is normal o some kind of bug? 
Can anyone point to the documentaiton when this is explained?

In this discussion the issue remains unsolve BGP advertise-map vs route-map filtering - Cisco Community

2 Replies 2

this is order I know 
but I need to know more about you network 
you make condition about advertise the prefix then you filter it by route-map ??
J5L1PpI.png

I want to advertise always network X, Y, Z (included in route-map out) and then make the advertisement of network W (included in the advertise-map) conditioned by the existance of another network V (included in exist-map) in the routing table.

Acording to my lab testing, this can't be done because:
- if I include the network W in the route-map out, then the advertisement of network W is not conditional and always get advertised as long as it exist in the BGP table, no matter if network V exist or not in my routing table.
- if network W is not included in route-map out, then the route-map out will always filter the advertisement of network W. 

The only way I found for this to work is to make the advertisement of network X, Y and Z also conditioned by the exist-map, that is: use the same route-map for the advertise-map and for the route-map out. But this is not what I want. Another solution is to delete the route-map out and announce to peer all my BGP table, and then configure the advertise-map for network W. The problem with this is that I dont want to advertise all my BGP table.

I am asking if this is the right behaviour or some bug.

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card