cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP feeds

pcromwell
Level 3
Level 3

we are setting up a new data center and we have 2 ISP feeds (router A and router B) using BGP coming into 2 of our cisco routers. (router C and router D) We will have a full mesh design so that each Cisco router will both have links to router A and B. Routers C and D will also be connected together via a 3rd interface.
We don't need to download any Internet routing tables, just the default routes really. Say our public IP range is 99.99.99.0/24
would I need to divide the Public subnet into 4 different subnets for example?

99.99.99.0/30 = Router A 99.99.99.1 -> Router C 99.99.99.2
99.99.99.4/30 = Router B 99.99.99.5 -> Router D 99.99.99.6
99.99.99.8/30 = Router C 99.99.99.9 -> Router D 99.99.99.10

then assign the last subnet for all the hosts

There are not many subnets on the data center so I will just add static routes. How does it work if any of the links were to go down, would BGP take care of that process?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For your routers (C and D) to peer with ISPs (A and B) you don't need to break your public IP (99.99.99.0/24).  For each peering, the ISP with provide you a separate /30 to use.  This way you can use your public IP for your internal networks.  Say, you have an internal network and a DMZ, you can break your /24 to 2 /25s and use one for internal and one for DMZ.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For your routers (C and D) to peer with ISPs (A and B) you don't need to break your public IP (99.99.99.0/24).  For each peering, the ISP with provide you a separate /30 to use.  This way you can use your public IP for your internal networks.  Say, you have an internal network and a DMZ, you can break your /24 to 2 /25s and use one for internal and one for DMZ.

HTH

many thanks for the reply

that sounds good. In terms of the BGP config on the cisco routers, is the following config all I need to add to be connected onto the Internet?

Router BGP (My AS Number)
neighbor (ISP 1 IP Address) remote-as X
bgp log-neighbor-changes
neighbor (ISP 2 IP Address remote-as XX

network 99.99.99.0 mask 255.255.255.0

Looks fine. If you are adding authentication then you will need to enter command for authentication.

thanks for the replies, I now have a clearer understanding.

many thanks again

In addition to the config, have look at this link for examples:

The design assumes load sharing but you can always configure them as active/standby

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/13762-40.html#anc27

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card