cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Graceful Shutdown - Local Preference & Community values not updating

JohnConnor1
Level 1
Level 1

I've replicated a production configuration in VIRL using CSR1000v routers. We are connecting to a carrier PE router and peering via eBGP. R1 = PE router, R2 = CE router.

R1 has an inbound route-map matching community value 1:110 and 1:120 that sets the local pref as 110 or 120 respectively for the routes it learns via BGP from R2. R2 has a route-map outbound that sets the community value to 1:120 and a inbound that sets the local preference to 120 for routes it has learned from R1. R2 has the send-community value set and the local preference of routes learned on R1 is being adjusted correctly.

When I try and use the BGP graceful shutdown feature with the local preference and community specified from R2 I'm not seeing the routes learned on R1 update with this new community value. I'm also not seeing the local preference update on R2 for the default route it has learned from R1. 

R2(config-router)#neighbor 192.168.0.1 shutdown graceful 300 community 1:110 local-preference 100

R2#sh ip bgp
BGP table version is 72, local router ID is 192.168.0.2
Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i - internal, 
              r RIB-failure, S Stale, m multipath, b backup-path, f RT-Filter, 
              x best-external, a additional-path, c RIB-compressed, 
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete
RPKI validation codes: V valid, I invalid, N Not found

Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
 *>
0.0.0.0          192.168.0.1           0    120      0 65501 i

The above value should have changed to 100 based on the local preference value I set in the shutdown graceful command

R1#sh ip bgp 1.1.1.0        This is an example route learned from R2
BGP routing table entry for 1.1.1.0/24, version 139
Paths: (2 available, best #1, table default)
  Advertised to update-groups:
  Refresh Epoch 1
    192.168.0.2 from 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2)
      Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 120, valid, external, atomic-aggregate, best
      Community: 1:120 gshut
      rx pathid: 0, tx pathid: 0x0

Although the gshut community has been appended, the first community value should have updated from 1:120 to 1:110 which would cause the local preference to drop to 110 based off the route-maps I have configured.

Am I missing some configuration or is my understanding incorrect of how the community and local preference work with the BGP graceful shutdown command?

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card