cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Next Hop Clarification

aprather
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble understanding a simple concept.

I'm tracking down the path of a route to a destination across a few routers.  Running BGP/EIGRP/Static Routes.

I look at one of my routers and it tells me that the route is advertised from a router that is physically a few hops away, but according to BGP its the 'next hop'.  How do I really see what the actual next hop for this network is?

Sorry for this basic question.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Routing table (the output of "show ip route") will let you know the router from which the prefix is learnt/received as nexthop. Incase of BGP, it is possible that the nexthop is multihop away. It normally performs a recusive lookup to check the egress interface.

If you want to check the egress interface, you can use "show ipcef <>"

-Nagendra

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Routing table (the output of "show ip route") will let you know the router from which the prefix is learnt/received as nexthop. Incase of BGP, it is possible that the nexthop is multihop away. It normally performs a recusive lookup to check the egress interface.

If you want to check the egress interface, you can use "show ipcef <>"

-Nagendra

Thanks, I was able to find the exiting interface via the show ipcef command.  It shows the physical next hope which is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card