Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP One Router Two ISP Failover

Hi

I need a help. I have an ISR 2921 connected with two ISP on BGP. I anounce them one network 37.139.*.0/24.

How can I make a failover with this? I need that all traffic goes to ISP1 and if internet down all traffic goes to ISP2. 

Thanks for help! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
As this sounds like you have just the one router connecting to two ISP's?

You don't mention if ithey are same or different ISP's, In any case I am assuming the latter, So you should be able to utilize the Weight and As-path path attributes to accommodate your request.

For as-path prepending I would suggest liaise with your ISP's to make they allow prepending, as they could easily over-wright such action

Example:
access-list 10 permit 37.139.x.0 0.0.0.255

ip as-path access-list 10 permit ^$ <---------------(to stop your site becoming a transit for either ISP, it just advertises local prefixes and not each others ISP routes)

route-map ISP2_rm permit 10
match ip address 10
set as-path prepend Y Y Y

router bgp Y
network 37.139.x.0 mask 255.255.255.0
neighbor <ISP1> remote-as X
neighbor <ISP1> weight 50000 <------------------Outgoing traffic proffered over this path
neighbor <ISP1> filter-list 10 out <----------------- just advertise local routes
neighbor <ISP2> remote-as Z
neighbor <ISP2> weight 10000
neighbor <ISP2> route-map ISP2_rm out<----------------ISP2 see your advertise network less preferred and should go via ISP1 to get to it.
neighbor <ISP2> filter-list 10 out  <----------------- just advertise local routes

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello
As this sounds like you have just the one router connecting to two ISP's?

You don't mention if ithey are same or different ISP's, In any case I am assuming the latter, So you should be able to utilize the Weight and As-path path attributes to accommodate your request.

For as-path prepending I would suggest liaise with your ISP's to make they allow prepending, as they could easily over-wright such action

Example:
access-list 10 permit 37.139.x.0 0.0.0.255

ip as-path access-list 10 permit ^$ <---------------(to stop your site becoming a transit for either ISP, it just advertises local prefixes and not each others ISP routes)

route-map ISP2_rm permit 10
match ip address 10
set as-path prepend Y Y Y

router bgp Y
network 37.139.x.0 mask 255.255.255.0
neighbor <ISP1> remote-as X
neighbor <ISP1> weight 50000 <------------------Outgoing traffic proffered over this path
neighbor <ISP1> filter-list 10 out <----------------- just advertise local routes
neighbor <ISP2> remote-as Z
neighbor <ISP2> weight 10000
neighbor <ISP2> route-map ISP2_rm out<----------------ISP2 see your advertise network less preferred and should go via ISP1 to get to it.
neighbor <ISP2> filter-list 10 out  <----------------- just advertise local routes

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

You don't mention if ithey are same or different ISP's, In any case I am assuming the latter

Yes, you are right.

Thanks for help! I thought the same but wanted to make sure.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card