cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP outbound load balancing with 3 upstreams

Haris P
Level 4
Level 4

I have a router "Router_A" advertising "prefix_A" to ISP A and Router_B advertising prefix_B to ISP B . Both Router A and B are connected via EBGP . Router A has also one more BGP session connecting to Saudi Local internet Exchange . I'm receiving default route from ISP_A and ISP_B .

I want to set the outgoing for Prefix_A to go thru ISP A and Prefix_B to go thru ISP B . The local internet exchange traffic shud be routed normally

route-map outgoing1 permit 5

match as-path 2

route-map outgoing1 permit 10

match ip address prefix-list Prefix_A

set ip next-hop ISP_A ISP_B

!

route-map outgoing1 permit 20

match ip address prefix-list Prefix_B

set ip next-hop ISP_B ISP_A

"route-map outgoing1 permit 5" is for matching the Local internet exchange traffic , i want to catch this traffic before it gets to the other sequences of the route map and it shud be routed according to my bgp routing table

ip as-path access-list 2 permit ^65000

But after applying this route-map on my router interface i can only see matches for first statement (route-map outgoing1 permit 5 ) ...I'm receiving about 500 Prefixes from Internet Exchange and it's not possible for me to match all this by using an ACL . Please suggest me what shud i do to achieve my task

10 Replies 10

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

The Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) policy accounting (PA) feature allows you to account for IP traffic differentially by assigning counters based on community list, AS number, and/or AS_PATH on a per input interface basis.

Can you show me how it's going to help in my case .

Thanks

Haris

Hi,

What are you actually trying to filter here? If I look at what you want, Router A is connected to ISP A, and an exchange. Router B is connected to ISP B. Therefore Router A and B must be connected via IBGP?

Also I presume you have a filter list of networks you want to advertise from Router A to ISP A (and B to ISP B), therefore I would expect you to just apply that prefix-list/filter to ISP A only. For the Saudi Connection I would also presume that you want to recive all the routes, but not propagate them to the ISP's? In which case you may only require a filter list to your ISP A and B to prevent thoose routes going up and to prevent you acting as a transit AS between ISP A and B.

Also you may want to restrict what routes you receive from the ISP's to just default routes?

If you want to make sure that Router A only uses ISP A for certain routes, and indeed B for others, you might want route maps setting local preference or weight.

Hard to tell without some more configuration displayed.

i agree with battyjohn. But if you want redundancy, set a higher local pref for prefixA on Router A and higher local pref for prefixB on Router B.

My Problem is about the outgoing traffic only . Now As Arisec told I'm putting higher local prefernce for ISP B and now all my outgoing is through ISP B . But I want to change the way of outgoing traffic

A is been advertise via upstream A and network B via upstream B, now I want that network A will go out upstream A and network B will go out upstream B, and it's only possible with PBR and the problem is that i can only apply a PBR on inside network of Router A and i want to filter out the local internet exchange traffic from this PBR and need to go according to the routing table .... But I can't define a route-map to match AS-path , only IP access-lists and packet lenght will be matching in a normal PBR

Rather than play about with BGP then, in this case you need to isolate what internal networks you want to go via ISP A as an exit point and manipulate your IGP (OSPF, EIGRP, etc) to use ISP A as the exit for that traffic, and vice versa for ISP B.

I don't think manipulating BGP in any form will give you what to achieve easily.

The attached diagram will give an idea about my setup

im not sure but this may be applicable

for ISP-A

access-list 10 permit 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255

route-map Prefix-A

match ip address 10

set local-preference 200

! default local preference for prefix B is 100

router bgp 1

neighbor ISP-A route-map Prefix-A

for ISP-B

access-list 20 permit 172.16.0.0 0.0.255.255

route-map Prefix-B

match ip address 20

set local-preference 200

! default local preference for prefix A is 100

router bgp 2

neighbor ISP-B route-map Prefix-B

Check this link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008075fae6.html

It gives you an idea of what you need to do, basically on each of your two routers set the weight so it prefers the correct ISP, then create your access-lists for the two separate sets of traffic, and create the Policy based route map, setting the next hops you wish to use for each access-list. Apply this to your incoming interfaces to router A and B (and by that I mean internal interfaces not the ISP ones), and all should be good!

Let us know how you get on :-)

Dear Ariesc,

I think will not work this way , under bgp we have to put route-map as either out /in . For example , if the route-map we apply on Router_A as out which will set higher local prefer for Prefix_A and which will only influence the traffic coming outside to prefer Router_A for Prefix_A . If we apply this route-map as in for Router_A it is not going to do anything,in normal cases we are applying this type of route-map as "in" when we are we are receiving similar prefixes from upstream and to prefer one ISP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco