Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP RIB

s4sandyad
Level 1
Level 1

I am learning advance bgp ....having query :

BGP uses different types of routing table..i.e 1) adj-rib-in (unprocessed routes which are received from neighbors)

2) adj-rib-out (routes which are sent by router to its neighbors)

3) local bgp table: (remained routes after process on adj-rib-in & rib-out) Best routes from local bgp table is forwarded to ip bgp talbe...

Q1. is it right??

Q2. how can i see these three table separately... is there any command to see only adj-rib-in or rib-out etc ??

Q3. Is there any concern of command

show ip bgp neighbors [address] advertised-routes

show ip bgp neighbors [address] received-routes

show ip bgp rib-failure

S@ndy...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi S@ndy,

Ad Q1: Almost correct. I believe that looking into RFC 4271 is worth a try, and the RFC puts it very nicely:

Adj-RIB-In
      The Adj-RIBs-In contains unprocessed routing information that has
      been advertised to the local BGP speaker by its peers.

Adj-RIB-Out
      The Adj-RIBs-Out contains the routes for advertisement to specific
      peers by means of the local speaker's UPDATE messages.

Loc-RIB
      The Loc-RIB contains the routes that have been selected by the
      local BGP speaker's Decision Process.

In particular, the Loc-RIB are not "the remaining" routes but simply routes that have been selected from Adj-RIB-In and locally injected routes as the best paths. These routes would be attempted to be installed into the router's routing table and would also be candidates for advertisement to other BGP peers.

Ad Q2: To see what routes have been received from a particular neighbor (Adj-RIB-In), use show ip bgp neighbor X.X.X.X routes. To see what routes have been sent to a particular neighbor (Adj-RIB-Out), use show ip bgp neighbor X.X.X.X advertised-routes. I am not sure if there is a command to display the Loc-RIB; I do not know of any.

Ad Q3: The advertised-routes shows the Adj-RIB-Out for the neighbor. The received-routes is relevant to a deprecated feature called Soft Reconfiguration that is beyond the topic of this discussion. The rib-failure shows you a set of routes from Loc-RIB that could not be installed into the router's routing table, if there are any. Most often, this is caused by the same network being already present in the routing table with a better administrative distance.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi S@ndy,

Ad Q1: Almost correct. I believe that looking into RFC 4271 is worth a try, and the RFC puts it very nicely:

Adj-RIB-In
      The Adj-RIBs-In contains unprocessed routing information that has
      been advertised to the local BGP speaker by its peers.

Adj-RIB-Out
      The Adj-RIBs-Out contains the routes for advertisement to specific
      peers by means of the local speaker's UPDATE messages.

Loc-RIB
      The Loc-RIB contains the routes that have been selected by the
      local BGP speaker's Decision Process.

In particular, the Loc-RIB are not "the remaining" routes but simply routes that have been selected from Adj-RIB-In and locally injected routes as the best paths. These routes would be attempted to be installed into the router's routing table and would also be candidates for advertisement to other BGP peers.

Ad Q2: To see what routes have been received from a particular neighbor (Adj-RIB-In), use show ip bgp neighbor X.X.X.X routes. To see what routes have been sent to a particular neighbor (Adj-RIB-Out), use show ip bgp neighbor X.X.X.X advertised-routes. I am not sure if there is a command to display the Loc-RIB; I do not know of any.

Ad Q3: The advertised-routes shows the Adj-RIB-Out for the neighbor. The received-routes is relevant to a deprecated feature called Soft Reconfiguration that is beyond the topic of this discussion. The rib-failure shows you a set of routes from Loc-RIB that could not be installed into the router's routing table, if there are any. Most often, this is caused by the same network being already present in the routing table with a better administrative distance.

Best regards,
Peter

Thank you Peter...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card