Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP router for small organization

ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi forum,

I have user in small company need router for BGP to the internet, please what router type you recommend for non-ISP organization.

just one AS number and small size of IP address

thanks

Ahmed

6 Replies 6

Pawan Raut
Level 4
Level 4

I would recommend Cisco 800 Series Router.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To support how much bandwidth?

Hi Joseph, it just 100Mbps, also i will buy 3925 is it sufficient ?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco recommends a 3925 for up to 100 Mbps, so that would be a fine fit.

BTW, the new 4xxx series, I understand offers even more performance for the price, so you might want to compare an entry model of the series, price wise, to the 3925.  The 4321 can be had to support 50 or 100 Mbps, and the 4331 100 or 300 Mbps.

Here is an ISR buying guide.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/guide_c07-726864.html?referring_site=RE&pos=3&page=http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-732542.html

For 100Mbps throughput the 4321 or the 3925 is where you want to be.  Ask your vendor for pricing for both to see what makes sense for your budget. 

Remember that a 1GE interface on a router doesn't mean it'll give you 1gig throughput, only that it'll negotiate an interface speed of 1000Mbs. You can set up a lab test to push data through a router to see that it'll never get close to 1gig.   I've had to upgrade many 3900 series routers as they become the bottleneck after we upgrade the WAN connections to 300 or 500Mbps.

Good luck.

Muhammad Shahid
Level 1
Level 1

we are already using Cisco 881 and Cisco 891 for multiple customers.

I would recommend Cisco-891F .

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card