Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp set AD per neighbor command?

distance $AD $neighbor_address $wildcard_mask [$acl_number]

I can't find this command in command reference but it seems like this has existed for a long time. What's the story behind it? I don't get the point of the wildcard mask here.

as1r1(config-router)#distance ?
<1-255> Administrative distance
bgp BGP distance
mbgp MBGP distance

as1r1(config-router)#distance 20 ?
A.B.C.D IP Source address

as1r1(config-router)#distance 20 1.1.1.1 ?
A.B.C.D Wildcard bits

as1r1(config-router)#distance 20 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 ?
<1-99> IP Standard access list number
<1300-1999> IP Standard expanded access list number
WORD Standard access-list name
<cr>

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

A wildcard is far better suited to matching multiple arbitrary IPs than a subnet mask, that is their main advantage.

See this link, I would point to specific command but it isn't copying into the thread very well  -

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/iproute_pi/command/reference/iri_book.html

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Firstly 255.255.255.255 is not a wildcard mask.

The command is not related to a specific routing protocol but is in the documentation.

The wildcard mask is used to specify which neighbor IPs to apply the distance command to.

So imagine you have 3 routers in a common subnet eg. 192.168.3.1, 192.168.3.2 and 192.168.3.3 and on the 192.168.3.1 router you wanted to change the distance of any routes received from 192.168.3.2 then the command would be -

"distance <num> 192.168.3.2 0.0.0.0"

if however you wanted to change the distance of routes received from both 192.168.3.2 and 192.168.3.3 then you would change the wildcard to match eg.

"distance <num> 192.168.3.0 0.0.0.3"

which covers both 192.168.3.2 and 192.168.3.3 just as you would use a wildcard in an acl.

Jon

Thanks. Can you point me to the documentation of this command? It does work and I suspect the command is there for some legacy reasons.

imo the address + wildcard is very inefficient here. can totally get rid of the wildcard or use a structure that's more suited for matching multiple arbitrary addresses.

A wildcard is far better suited to matching multiple arbitrary IPs than a subnet mask, that is their main advantage.

See this link, I would point to specific command but it isn't copying into the thread very well  -

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/iproute_pi/command/reference/iri_book.html

Jon

An old command indeed.

10.0 This command was introduced.

I was picturing some compound matching structures like route map to match unrelated IPs. A subnet mask would most definitely be inappropriate for this type of use case.

I guess the intention to include mask was to make full use of TCAM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco