cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bonding a T1 and Ethernet interface, is it possible?

jpmckane
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently using a 2620 with a T1 for Internet access. I'm looking at adding another 1.54 of bandwidth, however this increase would be via ethernet (originating from a wireless antenna). Is it possible to bond serial and ethernet interfaces together?

Thank you

James

3 Replies 3

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

What you want to look into is equal cost load balancing. The routing protocol will load balance the packets.

Thanks for your reply. I'm assuming from your answer that interfaces can be bonded regardless of their physical nature, ie ethernet can be bonded with serial to form one pipe?

I think there may be some terminology confusion. You seem to be asking about bonding to form a single connection (a single pipe) using Ethernet and serial. As far as I know it is not possible to do this on Cisco routers. What Smif101 was talking about was using both interfaces to deliver traffic, using a routing protocol (which could possible include using static routes) to send traffic over both interfaces to the same destination. This can work, but I think is not the function that you were asking about.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card