cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Booster performance licensing options on 4331

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble understanding the licensing options of booster performance on the ISR 4331. I have the license certificate and I'm trying to enable booster performance. Issuing the command "platform hardware throughput level boost" does not seem to enable it like it does for the 100 and 300 Mbit throughput levels. I'm on Fuji 16.8.2, so it should work this way, right?

license right-to-use move boost
platform hardware throughput level boost

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

see the following thread that provides info on how to do it

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/how-to-install-booster-performance-license-for-4320-series/m-p/3355891

• Minimum Required IOS Version: Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.07.01

Activiation & Verification

• ROUTER1#show run | in boost
    platform hardware throughput level boost
  • ROUTER1#show license | beg boos
    Index 11 Feature: booster_performance
    Period left: Life time
    License Type: Permanent
    License State: Active, In Use
    License Count: Non-Counted
    License Priority: Medium

Hope to help

Giuseppe

That guide talks about a license file. A license file was not required for throughput licenses, just the license certificate and to use the commands I posted to enable the license. What is different here?

Hello Emu,

yes the thread I have mentioned reports an issue with documentation that has been probably fixed.

In that thread there is post from Cisco employee Sxnguyen reporting the following note:

>> You don't need to register with smart license to install boost license. TAC already raised a bug to correct the documentation. You can install boost license with CSL license. You need to follow the normal installation procedure include reboot at the end.

Edit:

the following page describes the available methods to install the booster performance license.

see

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/software/configuration/guide/isr4400swcfg/bm_isr_4400_sw_config_guide_chapter_0101.html#concept_bvv_zyx_ndb

The first method looks like to use a license file .lic .  And this method is named CSL.

The second method is related to using Smart Licensing. The command is given in configuration mode and you have to save the configuration.

In any case a reload is needed at the end to make the change effective.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

The problem is that I don't have a .lic file, or have a Smart Licensing account. I just have the license certificate like I have a technology package license. Why won't the command to turn on the feature via RTU work?

Thanks.

Hello Emu,

>> Why won't the command to turn on the feature via RTU work?

In all the documents I have read generally speaking it is said that right to use can be used, but with a warning that this method is not available for all types of licenses.

I would suggest to open a ticket with the Cisco licensing portal in order to get help to solve this issue.

Hopet to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I tried that, but since I don't have a smartnet on this specific router, they won't help me. Do you have a 4331 that you could load with Fuji 16.8.2 so you can try the commands I posted?

Thanks.

Hello Emu,

I haven't a Cisco 4331 available for tests.

>> I don't have a smartnet on this specific router

I recommend you to talk to your manager to buy the smartnet contract.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

We currently don't have the budget right now to purchase a smartnet contract. There is over $10k invested in this router with NIMs, the boost license, and the cost of the router itself. This is ridiculous. Two hardware generations ago the cost of investment in the same solution cost magnitudes less and tac would have never turned me down for a simple question.

Do you have any ISR4k routers you can test? Does anyone else in the Cisco community have an ISR4k router not in production to test?

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card