Views
Helpful
Replies

Breaking a traceroute

willemvwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I connect to router1 and then hop over to router2, I do a traceroute on router 2. However after hop 4 I get time outs and would like to kill the traceroute. The problem is when I hit ctrl_shift_6 and then x it puts me back on router 1. How can I kill the trace without ending back on router 1? As soon as I type in resume I am back on router 2 with the trace still going.

Thanks

willemvw

17 Replies 17

OK, how's this for a model.

The first ctrl-shift-6 goes to the first router, which waits for a command: X to abort telnet or another character to continue.

If it receives another ctrl-shift-6 within a second then it does not abort, but passes it to the next router. An x will now abort the telnet at the second router.

Another ctrl-shift-6 within 1 second will get passed to the third router. An x will now abort the telnet at the third router.

Etc. etc.

And if you put in a series of ctrl-shift-6 at intervals of less than a second for the number of hops in your chain, then you get to abort the trace.

:-))

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I am happy now I am not going mad. :)

robert.ward
Level 1
Level 1

ok ths is interesting.

on a router four hops away I get the following.

ctrl-shift-6-x once or twice it drops to the first router and suspends the end one doing trace until I drop back to it.

and....

doing ctrl-shift-6 several times as I normally do will break out onto the current last telneted router connection and stays there.

both options work and seem to do two different things. Once ends and the other suspends and drops back to the initial router.

Robert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card