Views
Helpful
Replies

C1861 & ZBF / Download issues

nickrourke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

having a very strange problem with a Cisco 1861 running - Cisco IOS Software, C1861 Software (C1861-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T5

The issue  -

I  have suddenly started to get performance issues with downloads and  access through the ZBF. Without the firewall enabled and just having NAT  enabled and routing  , downloads perform as expected - ( have been  using Itunes download as test file ) - with the ZBF enabled , and the  necessary rules installed to inspect & allow traffic - downloads  stall - and the only way to get the downlaod to start again is to pause ,  then resume. The stalls are anything between the first 25 - 120 secs.

I  have debugged and performed packet traces - but cant see anything  untoward. I have also placed another router ( just a cheap Belkin )  on  the ADSL service and again , the downloads work as expected.

one  further thing to add is that when im tunneling through the firewall (  VPN ) , then downloads do work as expected - suggesting that the issue  is with native HTTP(s) traffic......

I  have upgraded from T4 to T5 - and the symptons still remain - I am  thinking that these may have been introduced when i upgraded to T4 a few  monthes ago.

any help would be gratefully appreicated.....

cheers

Nick

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is known that IOS "firewall" has major performance issues. Just remove it, it's useless anyway.

Greetings All,

I have a client that is using a 2801 with ZBF and they are having a similar issue.  A file larger then 20Mb will start off downloading and with in 10-40 seconds you can see the transfer rate just tumble in to self termination after a time.  There was mention of a known issue has there been a fix yet or work around?  15.x??

Cheers,

Mike

Hello Nick, Michael,

If you try removing HTTP inspection and use only TCP inspection, is it the same?

I know that there were some issues with HTTP inspection with ZBF due to out of order packets. There was also a bug opened for a performance issue on ZBF and HTTP: CSCta95621 which is indeed fixed in 15.0M.

If you need ZBF, it might be worth trying either TCP inspection or an upgrade.

Warm Regards,

Rose

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card