C8200L-1N-4T

HNETENG
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

on Cisco C8200L-1N-4T router what is the difference between :

1- (NIM-ES2-4)

vs

2- (C-NIM-2T)  that is "Cisco Catalyst NIM Module 2-port 1GE SFP with MACSec Cisco Catalyst NIM Module 2-port 1G Ethernet/SFP with MACSec"

BR

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Analyze differences by comparing product descriptions from :
                   https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-612808.html
                   https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/catalyst-8300-series-edge-platforms/catalyst-8000-gigabit-ethernet-wan-modules-ds.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

So, Can I say as per above the below:

1- (NIM-ES2-4)  :  (4-port Layer 2 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Switch NIM)  So, these ports works only on Layer 2 and I can't assign IP addressed to them. So, what are the use cases for these line cards on a router. 

vs

2- (C-NIM-2T)  Support both L2 and L3 and it can support IP addresses so, I can use them as WAN ports.

3- So, does the built in ports on the router C8200L-1N-4T matches which of the above line cards from **nctionality perspective. 

is the above right ? 

BR

Hello,

we have AI, so I guess, why not use it...

The Cisco C8200L-1N-4T router supports various Network Interface Modules (NIMs) to extend its connectivity options. Here are the key differences between the NIM-ES2-4 and the C-NIM-2T:

The Cisco C8200L-1N-4T router supports various Network Interface Modules (NIMs) to extend its connectivity options. Here are the key differences between the NIM-ES2-4 and the C-NIM-2T:

NIM-ES2-4
- Full Name : Network Interface Module - Enhanced Service Module (4-port)
- Ports : 4 Ethernet ports
- Type : Fixed 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
- Functionality : Provides additional Ethernet interfaces for general connectivity. It does not include advanced features like MACsec (Media Access Control Security).
- Usage : Ideal for basic Ethernet connectivity and expanding the number of Ethernet ports available on the router.

C-NIM-2T
- Full Name : Cisco Catalyst Network Interface Module - 2-port 1GE SFP with MACsec
- Ports : 2 SFP (Small Form-factor Pluggable) ports, supporting 1 Gbps Ethernet
- Type : SFP, which allows for fiber or copper connections via SFP modules
- Functionality : Provides secure Ethernet connectivity with MACsec (Media Access Control Security), which encrypts data at the Layer 2 level.
- Usage : Suitable for environments requiring secure communication, such as sensitive data transmission over untrusted networks. It provides flexibility with the use of SFP modules to accommodate different types of media (fiber or copper).

Key Differences Summarized:
1. Port Type :
- NIM-ES2-4 : Fixed 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet ports.
- C-NIM-2T : 1 Gbps SFP ports (can support fiber or copper through SFP modules).

2. Port Count :
- NIM-ES2-4 : 4 Ethernet ports.
- C-NIM-2T : 2 SFP ports.

3. Advanced Features :
- NIM-ES2-4 : Does not support MACsec.
- C-NIM-2T : Supports MACsec for secure Layer 2 encryption.

4. Use Case :
- NIM-ES2-4 : General expansion of Ethernet ports for basic connectivity needs.
- C-NIM-2T : Secure, flexible connectivity with MACsec and SFP versatility.

When to Use Each Module:
- NIM-ES2-4 : If you need to expand the number of standard Ethernet ports on your router without the need for secure Layer 2 encryption.
- C-NIM-2T : If you require secure Ethernet connections with MACsec, or if you need the flexibility of using SFP modules for different types of connections (e.g., fiber for longer distances or copper for shorter runs).

Choosing between these modules depends on your specific network requirements, particularly regarding the need for security features like MACsec and the type of physical connections you plan to use.

>...we have AI, so I guess, why not use it...
@Georg Pauwen        It can be used for help , but  often the replies are generic and sometimes even incorrect ,
                                 at least for  the community there should always be some background verification.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card