cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C8300 | More than 2 x 10G Ports

ZK916
Level 1
Level 1

My team and I are discussing the purchase of the C8300-2N2S-4T2X and one of our engineers configured it with the following NIMs: 

- C-SM-NIM-ADPT x 1

- NIM-4FXO x 1

- NIM-PVDM-256 x 1

- NIM-4MFT-T1/E1 x 1

I am not that familiar with how the SM and NIMs work on this type of platforms.

Issue: we need to configure 2 x 10G ports (will be configured as a Trunk for redundancy) to connect to the downstream edge switches and 1 x 10G port to connect to our ISP. Given the fact that this platform comes with 4xRJ-45 ports and 2x10G ports, how would be able to add a third 10G port to use to connect to the edge switch (Trunk for redundancy)?

Can we add a NIM that would allow us to add the required 10G port?

Thanks in advance.

~zK

9 Replies 9

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @ZK916 ,

Yes, you can add a NIM which will allow you to have the additional 10G port. It's called C-NIM-1X and it will fit either on the chassis or on the C-SM-NIM-ADPT.

Hope it helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what kind of Internet bandwidth from ISP ?

if this is not 10GB circuit and 10GB bearer and 1GB internet, 

On the Lan side you can port bundle 4x1GB interface towards switch (if that requirement works for you ?)

if the interface is must 10GB  need to drop of one of the module - if your requirement is 10GB additional port ?

check below modules :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/catalyst-8300-series-edge-platforms/catalyst-8000-gigabit-ethernet-wan-modules-ds.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello @balaji.bandi ,

why are you saying that they need to drop a NM? The C8300-2N2S-4T2X can support up to 6 NIM's with the C-SM-NIM-ADPT.

They would have only 4 now, with the additional 10G NIM:

- NIM-4FXO x 1

- NIM-PVDM-256 x 1

- NIM-4MFT-T1/E1 x 1

C-NIM-1X

Two of the NIM's will go on the chassis and two NIM's will go in the C-SM-NIM-ADPT which occupies a SM slot.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

just verified below details from Datasheet :

as per the cisco document : 

C8300-2N2S-4T2X is a 2RU platform with 2 SM and 2 NIM slots plus 2 x 10Gbps and 4 x 1Gbps embedded Layer3 Ethernet ports  (1PIM)

i look again your top list have C-SM-NIM-ADPT  - if this has free space you can add the modules or add one more to add new 10G modules.

BB

Since the BW to the ISP will be 1G, can the C-NIM-1X port be configured at 1G? or can one of the built-in 10G ports be configured at 1G? 

The goal is to have 2 x 10G downlink and 1G uplink? 

Much appreciated. 

~zK 

Its all depends on carrier delivery - some ISP / Provider deliver 10GB link and 1GB bandwidth

as i suggested before  if that is maximum bandwidth you get from ISP, you can have 4 X 1GB towards downlink  is good enough

BB

We have confirmed with our ISP that the BW will 1Gbps and the type of hand-off will be fiber (1000Base-SX). 

I just want to make sure that we would be able to configure either the C-NIM-1X port at 1G or one of the built-in 10G ports. 

Thoughts? 

Hello @ZK916 ,

from the link provided by BB we can see:

>> The C-NIM-1X is a next-generation 10G Layer 3 WAN module. This module provides high-speed WAN connectivity through a single SFP+ port supporting 1-Gbps and 10-Gbps WAN connections. The 10-Gbps WAN connection is a non-oversubscribed connection, since it’s connecting to the backplane using a 10-Gbps link. Full 256-bit WAN MACsec is supported. 

So this module supports also 1 Gbps optics like the one you need to use 1000 Base SX.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

ZK916
Level 1
Level 1

@Giuseppe Larosa ... thank you! 

Much appreciated. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card