cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C899G not recognizing any PoE commands

Semi-amateur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I have a C899G-LTE-GA-K9 device in my homelab. In the front panel it shows status leds for PoE functionality but those leds never turn on and no poe devices get power from the four back ports labeled PoE.

Also the device does not recognize any poe cmmands f.e.:

show power inline
       ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

What could be causing this? The device should clearly be PoE capable as it is labeled in the back and front panel.

Device is running the following firmware:

#show version

Cisco IOS Software, C800 Software (C800-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.9(3)M8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Could the power supply be bad? But if it were it should still recognize the commands right?...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the command

sh inventory raw

There is a strong chance the router was purchased without exercising the "PoE" option so the PoE daughterboard was not installed.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the command

sh inventory raw

There is a strong chance the router was purchased without exercising the "PoE" option so the PoE daughterboard was not installed.

Thanks for the reply. It indeed seems like the device is missing the daughter board as seen on the show inventory output:

#show inventory
NAME: "C899G-LTE-GA-K9", DESCR: "C899G-LTE-GA-K9 chassis, Hw Serial#: xxxx, Hw Revision: 1.0"
PID: C899G-LTE-GA-K9   , VID: V01, SN: xxxx

NAME: "C899G4G Mother board on Slot 0", DESCR: "C899G4G Mother board"
PID: C899G-LTE-GA-K9   , VID: V01, SN: xxxx

NAME: "Modem 0 on Cellular0", DESCR: "Sierra Wireless MC7304 4G-GA"
PID: MC7304            , VID: 1.0, SN: xxxx

What would be the part number for the power supply and the daughter board that I could use to install the functionality? I just purchased this as it had PoE leds on the front panel without thinking much more about it...

The business unit responsible for the 800-series router are highly "protective" of SKU of the PoE daughter card and the power supply so I am no longer sure if it is still "800-IL-PM-4" .  

According to the 890 Data Sheet800-IL-PM-4 (daughter card and 125wac power supply) is supported on the C896, C897, C898, C891F routers.  Since Cisco is no longer updating documentation, I still suspect 800-IL-PM-4 is supported on a 899 router.  

Does this same PoE daughter board thing apply to other cisco devices as well such that it says PoE on the front or back but is missing some internal board?

Also as a side question, do you know of any rack mount devices that have 4g/5g or that I could add 4g/5g add-on card to get a backup wan link preferrably in HA configuration? I don't think any ASA:s have this option?

@Semi-amateur wrote:
Does this same PoE daughter board thing apply to other cisco devices as well such that it says PoE on the front or back but is missing some internal board?

The 800-IL-PM-4 is "universal" for all 800-series router, as far as I understand. 

@Semi-amateur wrote:
do you know of any rack mount devices that have 4g/5g or that I could add 4g/5g add-on card to get a backup wan link preferrably in HA configuration?

We are using 1100 with WAN and LTE is the backup.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card