Views
Helpful
Replies

C9500-12Q IOS-XE 17.6.4 - CVR-QSFP-SFP10G going ErrDisabled

trapasso
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Have have some C9500-12Q switches in a HA Pair, using AOC for Cisco StackWise Virtual setup.  Using CVR-QSFP-SFP10G to change a 40G QSFP to 10G connection, LR.

When running IOS-XE 17.3.6 everything is working properly.  CVR-QSFP-SFP10G with 10G sfp is connected and AOC stacking ports all look good, Transceiver types are showing properly when doing a show interface status.

Upgraded to IOS-XE 17.6.4, or 17.6.5, and all seems fine but the CVR-QSFP-SFP10G with 10G sfp now either shows as 10G transceiver type or Unknown.  And the following log messages appear:

%PLATFORM_PM-6-MODULE_ERRDISABLE: The inserted SFP module with interface name Fo1/0/9 is not supported
%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Fo1/0/9, putting Fo1/0/9 in err-disable state

Do the normal shut / No shut on the interface but the interface status is not connected and the link is down.

The AOC cables connect but the transceiver types are blank.  Cosmetic but wanted to mention this.

When I downgrade these switches back to IOS-XE 17.3.6 everything goes back to normal and interfaces connect.

Both the CVR-QSFP-SFP10G and AOC are third party.

Anyone experience this?

26 Replies 26

I promised an update.

I opened a TAC case and it went as I expected.  The Engineer referenced a IOS-XE 16.8 release notes, when I am on 17.03.06, which works.

This is a snippet of the response I got:
"But you use third party SFP which means it may work and cannot work either, so Cisco doesn’t support them. Also, we need to isolate the issue to be in Cisco side not third party. That’s way I’m asking you to try Cisco SFP at this switch to see if this will solve the issue or not and isolate it for next step."

Ok, let's play some. 

Try using optics from FS[.]com.  

Hi Leo,

I chuckled when I read your message about FS.com because that is what I am using.  They work on the c9500-y24 but not on the c9500-12Q

FS.com are usually very attentive to stuff like this.  This is what makes them the "go to" when it comes to 3rd party optics for Cisco.  

Contact them again and ask if the optics can be re-flashed.

I created a support ticket with FS.com last week and we are starting to look at our alternatives.  And I have to agree with you about how good FS.com is with stuff like this.  

Thanks, keep us posted with the updates.

Hi Leo,

I was on site with the switch and I tried your suggestion of cold reboot.  It did not resolve the issue when switch was upgraded to 17.6.4

trapasso
Level 1
Level 1

A little bit of an update.  I deployed the C9500-24Y4C switch with 17.6.4 code and tested the CVR and 10G sfp again, on the production, switch not in production yet.  The FS.com CVR and 10G sfp both identified correctly.  Switch did not complain about an unsupported transceiver.  Transceiver details for the interface shows good, around -3db at both upstream switch and on interface.  But the interface was stuck in notconnected.  So it looks like there is an issue with the code on the Gen2 c9500 switched too.

Changed out the CVR and 10G sfp with a FS 40G QSFP(s) and the connection came up, so at least the 40G QSFPs have not issue.
I also stumbled on this bug yesterday CSCvn60882.

So final update.

We purchased a Cisco CVR and tested, as expected all worked fine.  It is unfortunately the FS.com CVR did not work when upgrading past ios-xe 17.3.

Glad you able to come to an solution after long time.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@trapasso wrote:
We purchased a Cisco CVR and tested, as expected all worked fine.  It is unfortunately the FS.com CVR did not work when upgrading past ios-xe 17.3.

Any word from FS?  

Try SmartOptics.

Been working with them but it will take time for a solution to be figured out.  I hope they do because we have quite a few existing CVR we now have to replace. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card