cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can a Cisco SG350-10 function as a internet router??

hello,

i have a small business office. i have three ISPs internet connections. i am currently using an tplink load balance router for the connections. i was thinking if buying a cisco L2/L3 managed switch (like sg350-10) will let me do the same functionality of the router but only better (at full isp speeds, link aggregation)? so, the switch should support pppoe on multiple (3) ports and be able to aggregate their speeds. can this be done in any L2 switch??

Please help. My buying decision depends on it!!!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...can this be done in any L2 switch??

That remark is already contradictory since routing functionalities are L3 , SG350 can not do pppoe (or NAT) , go here : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/small-business/networking/routers.html for product overviews

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

you cannot do this with only SG350. it does not support NAT. so you need some device which can do the NAT. that may be firewall or router or any NAT capable device.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...can this be done in any L2 switch??

That remark is already contradictory since routing functionalities are L3 , SG350 can not do pppoe (or NAT) , go here : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/small-business/networking/routers.html for product overviews

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

you cannot do this with only SG350. it does not support NAT. so you need some device which can do the NAT. that may be firewall or router or any NAT capable device.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As the other posters have already noted, generally L3 switches are "missing" many features a "router" offers (which is why they still both exist as products).  (NB: if you're wondering why there are both L3 switches and routers, the former incorporates some routing features in dedicated hardware, which limits how many features they can provide, but those that they do support, can be done at high rates, while routers, often rely on a "normal" CPU to do advanced features.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card